SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fixed keel sailboat on a trailer. I need about 6 ft of water to float the boat off the trailer. Looking for a boat ramp that is deep enough has been very frustrating because any ramp directory gives info about the amenities, number of lanes, parking spaces etc. but does not include the depth of water at the end of the concrete. I want to launch in the Gulf of Mexico between Mobile Alabama and Panama City Florida. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
We have REALLY deep ramps up here and you need a REALLY long trailer tongue and have to do it high tide and the ramp has to have a REALLY steep pitch

If you do the math on the lenth and angle required it is going to be LONG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Cal also. It is a 25. I have a steel wheel on the tongue of my trailer and using a tow strap I can let it way-out but I don't want to go off the end of the concrete. I have launched successfully using this technique quite a few times on a ramp near my house but need to find a suitable ramp for a cruise on the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Working for next Boat
213 Posts
how far out are you looking to have the 6', what is the best range for your own comfort, i will check a few ramps and get back to you.

i am in Crestview Fl.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much!

I can let the back axle out to about 20 feet from the waters edge. Maybe more. As long as I don't go off the end of the concrete, I can deal with it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've also let the trailer farther down by using a tagline on the trailer ball. Then I waded in and gave the boat a shove. If the stern is floating there isn't much weight on the trailer. That is to say, you need enough water at the stern and keel, but not forward.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. Unless the ramp is incredibly steep, the depth of water at the end of the concrete is the only controlling factor. The caster type wheel that I have under the tongue lets me push it out all the way to the end of concrete. I have gone off the end before and that's not good, depending on the drop-off at the end of some ramps.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You may be out of luck in places without a lot of tide. Typically, ramps end very close to the low tide line. In places where they need to go farther, they usually place pre-poured pieces of concrete to extend the ramp.

I have used the same technique as you many times and it does work quite well. I have even done it on a smooth, gravel ramp succesfully which may be an option if you can find a smooth one and have the traction to pull the boat back out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since no one else has said it....I will. Your boat and trailer set-up was designed for use with a sling, and not a ramp. While I applaud you and the others for trying.....the boat ramps in my part of the country are far too busy for that kinda messing round. lowering\moving a trailer out from your tow vehicle with a strap will surely bring the harbour patrol out and tickets will be written.....doesn't matter what there for but it will ruin your day.
Best of luck with that.
Kary
S/V Mariah

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since no one else has said it....I will. Your boat and trailer set-up was designed for use with a sling, and not a ramp. While I applaud you and the others for trying.....the boat ramps in my part of the country are far too busy for that kinda messing round. lowering\moving a trailer out from your tow vehicle with a strap will surely bring the harbour patrol out and tickets will be written.....doesn't matter what there for but it will ruin your day.
Best of luck with that.
Kary
S/V Mariah
Hey...that's cool. Sorry to hear that boating in your part of the world is so hectic. I have paid $280 to launch my boat with a travel lift. I would not consider dinking around at a busy ramp. Using the strap has been a pretty smooth in and out operation but I would only attempt it if there were no other boaters using the ramp. Things are pretty laid-back in the south. Come on down sometime and relax.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To pull our 58 foot purse seiner is ~$300.00 one way including blocking.......I'd sure look at cheaper sling trips. We're roughly 100,000 lbs. gross weight, with a draft of 15 feet......not exactly a boat ramp vessel.
To pull with the crane is ~$250.00
Prices qouted 10 minutes ago...Seaview Boatyard, Seattle WA.
Kary

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 23 foot Paceship that I am refurbishing so that I will have a boat that I can launch more easily. I'm just trying to get one last cruise out of my Cal 25 before I try to sell it. I love the boat but it is just too much for my pocket book if I can't launch from a ramp. Its too bad because I think it is just the right size boat for me, big enough to be comfortable but small enough to single hand. Wish the launch wasn't such a headache.

·
Registered
127 Posts
rather than looking for a suitable ramp in the area your visiting maybe search for a marina that has a boatell , I would think the forklift charge to set you on and off would be quite reasonable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a fixed keel sailboat on a trailer. I need about 6 ft of water to float the boat off the trailer. Looking for a boat ramp that is deep enough has been very frustrating because any ramp directory gives info about the amenities, number of lanes, parking spaces etc. but does not include the depth of water at the end of the concrete. I want to launch in the Gulf of Mexico between Mobile Alabama and Panama City Florida. Any suggestions?
I'm in a similar situation with a wing keel Catalina 22 and similar ramp requirements. I have used the Brooks Bridge Ramp. They have a very deep ramp and are located at the western end of Okaloosa island between Ft Walton and Destin. Great parking lot to step the mast, good service, deep ramp. I will say there can be a pretty quick current that makes putting the boat back on the ramp interesting but launching is no problem. I haven't been there in 2 years so I would call before heading over. It is across the street from a really large dry storage facility that is completely unhelpful. Let me know if you need more info.

Google Maps Coordinates
30.399613,-86.600214

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The post I was hoping for...Thanks

I'm in a similar situation with a wing keel Catalina 22 and similar ramp requirements. I have used the Brooks Bridge Ramp. They have a very deep ramp and are located at the western end of Okaloosa island between Ft Walton and Destin. Great parking lot to step the mast, good service, deep ramp. I will say there can be a pretty quick current that makes putting the boat back on the ramp interesting but launching is no problem. I haven't been there in 2 years so I would call before heading over. It is across the street from a really large dry storage facility that is completely unhelpful. Let me know if you need more info.

Google Maps Coordinates
30.399613,-86.600214
Now THIS is the reply I have been hoping for. Many, many thanks my friend!

·
Registered
34 Posts
A marina with a hoist is your best bet. I sailed out of Mobile Bay in an O'Day 22 (3 ft draft). It was difficult to put even that size boat in the water using a ramp. Most of the time we used a hoist. They are also plentiful around the Gulf Coast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If interested, there is a Marina on the Dog River accross from the Mobile Yacht Club. (Cant remember the name?). They have a hoist.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts