SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a full time liveaboard and anchor out nearly all of the time. As soon as my chain starts to show signs of wear it is relegated to the back up anchor. Last time around i bought some Italian chain which was a disappointment and needed replacing after only 18 months.

So I bit the bullet and ordered 200 ft of genuine ACCO BBB 3/8th chain. It arrived and I started swapping the chain around.

Pulling my current back up chain out I had a nasty surprise.

The ends were fine but the middle was a nasty rusted lump.

So badly rusted in fact that it was almost completely wasted away at one point. This had been genuine US made ACCO BBB chain as far as I know. I was lucky I had not needed it this hurricane season.

I guess I need to check my back up more often.

But why should it have gone like this?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If your galvanized chain sits in a wet locker for a long period of time, it'll rust regardless of its quality or where it's made. I'd focus on improving the drainage of the locker and keeping water out, if possible.

I lined the sides of mine with a DriDek-like material so water that comes in from the locker lid above can run down the sides of the locker without touching the chain and, if it does, allows air circulation to dry it out quickly. I also installed a perforated shelf at the bottom of the locker to keep the chain high and dry.

One thing that can be easily overlooked is the locker drain outlet on the side of the boat. If it's located too low and/or doesn't have an aft-facing fairing, it can scoop up water while underway and send it into the bottom of your locker.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
ICK! :eek: How old is that chain? Also, to be clear that's the US chain?

I agree about doing what you can to keep the chain dry and aired in the locker. Also, a fresh water washdown when you can. (difficult at anchor if you don't have a watermaker. Perhaps leave the locker lid open more often? Rain would be good, sun would be good....

I've also used "Salt away" with good (but totally anecdotal) results.
Salt-Away Professional Strength Spray - 16 fl oz (473 mL)

MedSailor

·
Administrator
8,332 Posts
I had that problem and think I have solved it.

In the bottom of the anchor locker I put and old coil of rope and on top of that I put some of those plastic squares that connect together and forms a grate. Dunno the name of the stuff but people use it as flooring in bathrooms etc.
I cut it to size for the anchor locker.
now the chain has a place to drip dry and be out of the water.

As regalvanising chain is not done anywhere these days its pretty important to try to keep it dry... when its not in the water...

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
I had that problem and think I have solved it.

In the bottom of the anchor locker I put and old coil of rope and on top of that I put some of those plastic squares that connect together and forms a grate. Dunno the name of the stuff but people use it as flooring in bathrooms etc.
I cut it to size for the anchor locker.
now the chain has a place to drip dry and be out of the water.

As regalvanising chain is not done anywhere these days its pretty important to try to keep it dry... when its not in the water...
Dri-dek

From http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=26188

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Been wanting to get a huge lot of Dri-dek for under the berths, but at about $4 per square and having 4 double berths on board, it was adding up to be very expensive. Now I just flip the matresses up on their side when we are away.

These people are doing it right.

From: will and sara's sailing adventures - wanderlust for sale

Regards,
Brad

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts

·
3,505 Posts
End for end your chain every year and you'll get a chance to inspect the parts that don't get used very often. Also it will even up the wear across the entire length of that ever so expensive chain.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Acco chain is nowhere near its past quality, both in galvanizing and link welding. There was a change of ownership a few years ago that seems to have affected the quality.

In the store I work we sell chain from Canada Metal (Titan) and find it very consistent in quality with excellent galvanizing. Canada Metal produces Martyr Zincs and owns Rocna Anchors as well.
Marine Products | Canada Metal Pacific Ltd

And yes, keep any chain dry when not in use.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
To continue the divergence: for the poor-man's version of the mattress anti-condensation mat, I've been pleased for the last 3 years with this under the mattresses:

It does shed a little, but not too badly, and you can't beat the price nor the availability. I installed this under my mattresses in Sept of 2012 and they're still working fine, and it's damn sure moist here in the central Gulf.

As for mats under the chain, I have dumpster-dived m'self a couple of bakery rack tray thingies (ergo, behind the grocery store) and cut off the edges/boxing and they are working:

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This chain was my back up anchor chain. My set up has the anchor locker divided in two. The primary gets used and the back up only gets deployed in storm conditions or if I had to abandon my primary for some reason. Which I very nearly had to do this year. ** Thanks for the assistance Skipping Stone]

It was sitting on coiled rope. and had been untouched for 20 months. I did not examine it closely It had been sitting flaked out on deck for a while getting cleaned then waiting for a good hard rain to wash the salt off before I lifted it by hand and fed it in. I feel sure I would have noticed any rust that was more than surface rust.

Some one has suggested i throw a couple of old zincs in there with the chain. I guess that can do no harm. I can not use oil as my locker drains into the bilge.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
The pics sure look like oxidation, not galvanic corrosion.
Agreed. My question was more aimed at long term anchoring in one spot. I realise now that your chain deteriorated in the locker. I doubt tossing zincs in there would do any good.

Now spray on Zinc, could possibly help.... but for some reason I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm glad you noticed it before it noticed you, and from your title, glad it wasn't something "worse"

Like an incident on a seagoing cargo ship a colleague related to me, while anchored a stowaway made his way aboard, and must have decided that the empty space he found himself in was a dandy place to hide for the upcoming voyage.

The chain locker. I shall say no more, except that it was not a pleasant discovery for the crew much later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.