SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
We are completing our boat. Had high hopes of scoring windlass, water heater, refrigerator components, propane installation system, interior lights, anchor, chain, battery charger, VHF/AIS, fish finder/chart plotter, 4g radar, ACR, all for under 3 grand. Looks like the radar and windlass will have to wait unless they have some secret coupon code, like "$2000 off for every $3000 SPENT".

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh yes, annual pilgrimage. List has been going for a while now. This is going to be a relatively light year, meaning lower four digits rather than mid four digits. :eek:

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Well - went to buy something, checked the usual places and did not really realize that Defender's sale actually started today. I save $70.00 from what I thought I was going to have to pay. So, I bought something else for $50.00 to make up for it.

Rik

·
Registered
6 Posts
We drove there for the first time during this event this year, I can't believe what I have been missing! We came home with a new Magma grill and accessories. It was like a boatshow for gear. Way fun and enough money saved to buy gasoline for trip and part of dinner out...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Was there on Friday. Madhouse in the morning...tapered off a bit in the afternoon.
Was in the market for a dinghy and outboard. Bought a 10-ft. Zodiak and a 6-hp Tohatsu.

Thing is, my yacht club runs an outing to our local West Marine store, whereupon members obtain--for one night only--the club's Port Supply discount on purchases during the evening (plus complimentary snacks). During this special sale, the local WM matches Defender prices. (On comparable items only, of course.)

So I went to the WM sale on Sunday night and got some bargains on stuff I otherwise would have gotten at Defender at about the same price. Plus my own purchases added to --and possibly upgraded---our club's Silver status regarding its Port Supply discount.

Yet I went with Defender on the dinghy and motor. The big difference was the Defender price on the 6-hp Tohatsu, which motor is identical to the 6-hp Mercury that West Marine sells.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I went yesterday. Last year was my "big" list; this year, I just needed a few minor things. The really great thing is the advice available from manufacturer's reps. I learned about various epoxies and which was best suited for the repair job I had in mind, and after speaking with one of the staff, I have a new strategy for cleaning and waxing the boat. But the big thing I learned was why my new Lowrance Elite chartplotter (bought last year at the Defender sale for just over half list price) didn't show tide information. Turns out that you need to buy a new chip with more detailed charts and info to get that feature (plus others). On sale at Defender for $170 (regular price: about $190). Not for me.

I don't go every year, but its a nice harbinger of spring.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Who or what is Defender? anything like the REI sales of yore when there was only one store in seattle?!?!?!

Marty
A very discount marine supply store. Most of their business is online/phone/mail order, but they have a retail location at their warehouse in Waterford, CT. Their big spring sale usually has some unbelievable deals. The store is really quite low rent, but they have an amazing amount of stuff in stock, and their prices are often much better than the competition.

Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender

·
Registered
661 Posts
I checked the price on the tohatsu 15HP I was eye-balling and it only came down $80 for the sale. I was hoping to score like I did on the Inflatable from them last year...no such luck:(

I will keep looking around the local shops for good used motors, I just can't throw $1500 for a craigslist motor. If I don't find one by late April I will buy new.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I had by shopping cart full of the stuff I needed. I noticed the discount was only 10%, not much of a sale IMHO. Ended up not buying anything. Guess one has to attend to get the bargains. There is always flea markets, boat shows and Ebay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts