SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Defender's Annual Warehouse Sale is March 26-29 this year. For those few unfamilar, typically almost everything they have is on sale, typically about 10%. You do pay shipping, but no tax if out of state.

·
11,750 Posts
I love Defender,

Shop carefully and comparatively as even with Defenders discounts they are not necessarily the cheapest or the only ones which have free shipping or no tax

It all depends on the item😄🇺🇸😄

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Did you get a notice in the mail? I always get one, although the Admiral has been known to throw it out. I haven't seen a notice for this year yet, and I wonder if I need to start looking through the garbage...

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get a notice in the mail? I always get one, although the Admiral has been known to throw it out. I haven't seen a notice for this year yet, and I wonder if I need to start looking through the garbage...
It was in an email I got today. I haven't seen the usual postcard notice yet.

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
.... but no tax if out of state.
Just to be clear, if they deliver out of state, Defender is not required to collect CT Sales Tax. Technically, the buyer still owes tax to their home state, if their home state has one.

Heretofore, home states haven't really been looking for these small potatoes, unless you buy something really big. In the age of Amazon, this is becoming huge volume that State's are losing and they are all trying to figure out how to track the small dollars in high volume. I'm not aware of it happening yet, but it's coming.

·
11,750 Posts
It’s been coming for over 5 years

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Sales tax is a changing thing with Defender (and probably all businesses). When we were in Georgia and Maryland they had to charge sales tax, but in Florida they do not. This was in the past year. Apparently some states are making collecting sales tax a requirement for doing business in the state.

Mark

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
This whole sales tax thing can get ridiculous. I was in NYC with the Admiral a few weeks ago for an overnight weekend to see our kids. As sometimes happens, she saw something expensive that she wanted, and we decided to buy it. Because we had it shipped home (to CT, no charge) instead of walking it out the door, the store was not required to collect the NY state and city taxes. Saved us quite a bit of cash money.

·
11,750 Posts
The internet changed things. States are struggling to keep up as the special interest lobbies have held off legislation in many of them.

I thought Internet sales are taxed everywhere I if there is a brick and mortar store in that state .

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I thought Internet sales are taxed everywhere I if there is a brick and mortar store in that state .
That's definitely true as witnessed by Amazon, which used to be free shipping to almost all states, but now charges tax because they have put distribution and warehouses in most states. It doesn't have to be a "store" in that sense - just a physical presence.

The tax thing that is changing is states are starting to demand tax collection from businesses out of state shipping into the state. This varies among states now, and many are still free, but it is closing down quickly.

Mark

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Last year I was denied the opportunity to not pay sales tax at checkout and have my items shipped to RI. I just called them. LA TX FL are the only states remaining that defender does not collect state sales tax for.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Or, just live and sail in Oregon... no sales tax here.
:)

And e-yup we do pay an income tax, and the only practical difference is that we see exactly how much $ we are paying, every April 15.

My friends in states with a sales tax say they have gotten used to the idea of being 'nibbled to death' all year.

So avoid it where you legally can. I do like ordering from the 'net with no tax charged... so far.... while it lasts...

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last year I was denied the opportunity to not pay sales tax at checkout and have my items shipped to RI. I just called them. LA TX FL are the only states remaining that defender does not collect state sales tax for.
I just checked their website and they do indeed add sales tax to orders shipped to NY. That is a very recent change.

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
This was inevitable. Back in the mail order days, it was lost in state budget rounding. With sales moving to the internet, it’s huge.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
This was inevitable. Back in the mail order days, it was lost in state budget rounding. With sales moving to the internet, it’s huge.
No doubt inevitable. My post was more in line with at PSA for those price shopping and thinking it would be a better deal to take the tax break.

West Marine (around these parts) matches defender prices and you still get the $10 coupons back :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts