SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I''m considering the purchase of a DB1 for club/PHRF racing. in San Diego (light/medium air). Does anyone have any experience with these boats? They seem well built but do they do well in So Cal. PHRF? Any other recommendations for a so. cal club racer around $20-25K that is well built with a normal cockpit?
Thanks..........

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,097 Posts
I am moe familiar with the DB2''s but these are IOR era race boats. They were quite fast in their day, winning the SORC in class and over (I think)on occasion. They were built to be racers first and enything else second. As a result they are not exactly robust and depended on some fragile technologies such as the metal interior framing system.

I am a big fan of fractional rigs, but at least in the case of the DB2 these rigs took some real skill to sail well. $20-25K is a good price for one in clean shape. Its not so good for one that needs a lot of work. Southern Cal. used to be loaded with old IOR era one tonners (37''-39'')that sold in that general price range.

Good luck
Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
I''ve been in many races with db2''s. They are fast and the hull is built strongly to withstand offshore racing (beating in the Northsea).The complete interior is very light (50kg total) and not very strong. Our navigator kicked through the devider under the nav station. For racing and day sailing it''s a great boat check for blisters. I would go for it if you like the boat. Lot''s of fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts