SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
WHAT??????????????????????​

BEST SAILING BOATS IN THE WORLD (that we mortals can afford)..

Are you serious???

Damn...I am really sorry..my favorite boats

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, really liked the look of the 34R for my purpose's.

Probably should change the BF to BK!

marty

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The credit crisis coming home to roost... this is probably just one of many... Tartan/C&C is in receivership too.. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry if I'm not shedding too many tears over the demise of a German boat builder, even though they may have produced a nice product.

What I'm most concerned with is what's happening right here at home in the U.S.. In case you haven't noticed, every sector in the U.S. economy is going down the tubes. If you don't believe this, please point out any sector that's doing well right now (Don't choose WalMart cause they're just a small part of the retail sector, which is sucking canal water.)

In case you haven't noticed, our political leaders are spending TRILLIONS of dollars we don't have to "bail-out" anybody who's made campaign donations to them in the past. When the Chinese, or whomever, comes collecting on these IOUs, how does the Treasury Department intend to pay them? By printing more money and adding more debt?

I am ashamed that my post-war baby boom generation is screwing its children and grandchildren. My parents left us a land of opportunity, where a man could support his family, afford a house, buy a car and live the American Dream on his own income. What are we leaving our children other than insurmountable debt?

Please keep this in mind the next time you start feeling sorry for a foreign boat builder!

·
1,000 Posts
Sorry if I'm not shedding too many tears over the demise of a German boat builder, even though they may have produced a nice product.

What I'm most concerned with is what's happening right here at home in the U.S.. In case you haven't noticed, every sector in the U.S. economy is going down the tubes. If you don't believe this, please point out any sector that's doing well right now (Don't choose WalMart cause they're just a small part of the retail sector, which is sucking canal water.)

In case you haven't noticed, our political leaders are spending TRILLIONS of dollars we don't have to "bail-out" anybody who's made campaign donations to them in the past. When the Chinese, or whomever, comes collecting on these IOUs, how does the Treasury Department intend to pay them? By printing more money and adding more debt?

I am ashamed that my post-war baby boom generation is screwing its children and grandchildren. My parents left us a land of opportunity, where a man could support his family, afford a house, buy a car and live the American Dream on his own income. What are we leaving our children other than insurmountable debt?

Please keep this in mind the next time you start feeling sorry for a foreign boat builder!
Well, with all due respect for you and your opinion, I am foreigner, and feel sorry for them..and have all right to do it..

They did make excellent boats, that kept the bar pretty high as far as performance and quality, and albeit being German, the sailing world is at loss, with them and also with tartan..

I feel sorry your Auto industry is in the state it is, but there is only one direction the finger is to be pointed at, for allowing that to happen...

Anyway..hope you guys pull thru...looks like Europe may be sinking too soon...the future is dark.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I try to stay out of political type issues. but the closing of the Dehler plant is a world wide issue, along with the US car biz, banking etc. This recession or depression is going to hit all of us around the world, some worst than others, some better, but it will hit ALL of us in some way shape or form.

My wife has not had a paycheck for 6 months, as her escrow biz has pretty much shut down with the home financial problems occuring. Lucky I have been busy thru now, but the next few months look slim...............

marty

·
Splashed
572 Posts
Dehler is being reconstructed

I think we will see that Dehler will rise from the ashes very soon. There's a lot of people working on reconstructing Dehler, as they have some great assets = really great boats!
The Director (CEO) of the company did some things he should not have done, and thus then employees (and others) filed for bankruptcy to get rid of him.
They'll be back!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Good to hear... keep us posted.
I think we will see that Dehler will rise from the ashes very soon. There's a lot of people working on reconstructing Dehler, as they have some great assets = really great boats!
The Director (CEO) of the company did some things he should not have done, and thus then employees (and others) filed for bankruptcy to get rid of him.
They'll be back!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BYM Product and Industry News

Looks good for the future once the current CEO is out of there.

To a degree, probably what should have happened at Novus, but the top dogs kept on destroying the company with no one able to stop the coming train wreck. At least in Germany, the unions were able to file the BK part, get rid of the CEO whom was not operating the company correctly, and possibly continue with a new director.

A good sign, I might be able to get a 34R yet...............

Marty

·
1,000 Posts
Unfortunately..it's not that simple...

In Europe, many times, just before the companies go down, and in order to assure that workers get late or future salaries, it's normal to nominate a provisional administrator, to prevent the company from being materialy deflated and the assets sold..and guarntee that first fresh money goes to the workers. After all our governments don't want people to get un-emplyed, as once that happens they are entiteled to un-employed money, which thew governement doesn't want to pay...so the Gov and other entities kick in and start nomeating provisional management...that's the only reason.

This seems to me what is happening there..it DOES NOT mean they will continue...they will try, but to be honest (and I hope I am wrong), I've seen it too many times..the end is near.

What Van de Berg was trying to do, after getting the loan refused, was selling some company valuables, that could bring cash in, so they could continue production..this maybe bad, but maybe was the solution.

That maybe was good, maybe was bad..BUT never comparable with what the crooks at Tartan did...

Those 180 plus workers are out in street soon....unfortunately

Bankrupcy procedures and methods in europe are very different from the US ones, and to be honest so are the unions..over here, I have seen too many great companies destryed by union power, and in the end, the workers bit ethe bullet...unfortunately

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Sorry if I'm not shedding too many tears over the demise of a German boat builder, ...

What I'm most concerned with is what's happening right here at home in the U.S..
Ironically, it's myopic "vision" just like this that has got us where we are today.

Allow me to introduce to you, AB, a radical "new" concept: It's called "the world economy." In a "world economy," all boats across the world tend to more-or-less rise and fall together. So: An out-of-business Dehler won't be buying any U.S.-made components. Nor will out-of-work ex-Dehler employees likely be buying any U.S.-made consumer goods. And, just as with the not-so-big-anymore-three: The effect runs down-hill. (Just wail until everybody sees the effect of 45,000 Chrysler workers laid-off for 30 days.)

The short-sightedness of some people, especially our so-called business, financial and political "leaders," does not bode well for our future :(.

Jim

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Really Sad to hear this news. Its a coincidence that yesterday we made an offer on a 2001 D39 that has been accepted.

I hope the employees of the company fare okay.

michael

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Micheal,

Did you buy the black hulled on in Seattle?

marty

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Marty ,

We did buy the one in Seattle, its actually dark blue. Got Eric Bentzen lined up for a very cold survey next Tuesday. We hope to be toasting the new year on the boat.

I think we are going to be eating beans and rice for a while, we think its worth it. What a boat!

michael

·
1,000 Posts
EXCELLENT BOAT Doubeleeboy...

You won't regret it..especially as you wave good bye to all your friends in the Catalinas, Beneteau, Hunters, Dufours Jeanneau, etc..as you pass them on your extremely good looking classy well built boat...

(Note I left the Old shoes out, because even moored the Dehler is faster)

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence in the boat, we are smiling ear to ear, expecting no issues in survey. Hoping for a long & happy relationship with the almost new member of the family.

michael

1 - 20 of 28 Posts