SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
5,006 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious - how many cruisers routinely dehydrate food while they are cruising ?

I am in the process of building a larger dehydrator for making jerky, drying fruit, making fruit leather, and that type of thing to replace the small one I have and it made me curious if anyone else dehydrates food for camping or for cruising. I have heard of people drying fish but I have not ever done that.

What kind of things do you dehydrate, how do you manage it on the boat ?

· Banned
5,006 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Part of the reason that I have a dehydrator is to dry food so I have it when I go hiking, biking, camping, etc. Dehydrated food is very light weight in addition to storing well without refrigeration and it can be easily rehydrated on the trail when you are cooking it, so it is really a perfect trail food. The new dehydrator I am building to replace my old dehydrator is so I will have the ability to dry large buys of food at one time instead of having to buy smaller quantities, sometimes you just get 20lbs of something all at once on sale or from someone's garden, and I think it will be the same out in the world when I take it on the boat, I feel I am likely to find large buys of things and want to dehydrate them all at once to store them in bulk. I plan to spend a lot of time away from my boat when I am cruising and need trail foods.

I like the solar dehydrator idea but I have never tried solar dehydrating, I wonder how well that would work. Even if it just worked for some things like fruit and vegetables and not for other things like jerky, it would still help to have something that could be used part of the time without any electricity. My home built dehydrator uses a 60 watt light bulb, which can be powered from boat power, but it is still 60 watts that I wouldn't use if I did not have to.

Another reason I want a dehydrator on the boat is that my boat doesn't and won't have refrigeration, so it is harder for me to store chunks of dead animals. I either have to use canned meat, can meat myself, or I need to be able to turn meat into jerky and store it dehydrated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.