SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Reaction score
I dehydrate food for long canoe trips more than sailing trips. That said, tacos or hamburger helper type food is very nice to have after a few days on the river. I dehydrate ground turkey (wife can't eat beef) all the time. It works very well.

Brown the meat in a frying pan as you normally would.
I don't tend to add much for spice at this time, but I suppose you could.
(I have, I just think it works better later.)
When the meat is done, drain it and cook for a few more minutes stirring often. You want it just a touch over cooked.
Then drain thoroughly.
Spread the meat out in your dehydrator and turn on. I usually dehydrate mine for almost 2 days.
When finished it will be similar to dry dog food. Very light weight, brittle, and dusty dry.
I place in ziplock bags, by the pound (weight before dehydrating)

To reheat, soak on low heat, in warm water for up to an hour. Do not boil.
Test occasionally for texture of the meat. When texture returns, drain and fry the excess water off. Now add spices or sauces.

It's not exactly like fresh meat, but it is pretty close. It smells and tastes damn good after a hard day's paddle. I would use it sailing without question.

· Registered
27 Posts
Reaction score
We dehydrate a lot of things for trips:
-mangos
-plums
-watermelon (don't laugh, it's great)
-bananas
-blended apple sauce and other fruits for fruit bars
-diced chicken breasts
-ground turkey
-ground chicken
-bacon (our own bacon bits)
-extra peppers and onions for soups

I've started experimenting with dehydrating sauces. Some say it can be done with tomato sauce, etc. I can't seem to get it quite right though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.