SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who wants to take an engine training class this spring? Anyone looking to do more of their maintenance and be better prepared for things that may happen out at sea? There are classes in NJ and MD. Please reply if you are interested. Looking to make it more fun and to get a group discount.

DavidPM first posed this question in this thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/49239-engine-training.html I'd like to revisit this question and see if we can get 4 or 5 people.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Me too.
Which class are you thinking about?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Mack-Boring?

I have been thinking about taking one of their 3-day courses in New Jersey. Is this what you were talking about?

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Man, I would sure like to; but my spring is WAY overbooked.

Jan/Feb would have been the time for me... :-(

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have been thinking about taking one of their 3-day courses in New Jersey. Is this what you were talking about?
I took the 3 day course last spring in Union NJ. Having a new engine with all of the new emissions stuff made me a little nervous about working on it. Plus you can never have enough education.
What's pretty cool about the course is if you own a yanmar they will pull out the model and you get to work on that. If you don't own a Yanmar, you still pick up some stuff but I don't believe the class is as valuable. One guy in our class had a Perkins and he did pick up learn but it's different when you working on your engine.

Recommendations to anyone taking that class.

1) Take lots of digital pictures of your engine on your boat. Take pictures of everything. particularly of any labels on the engine and transmission.
Either print and put in a binder or take your laptop with you. The engine at Mack boring will be on a table with easy access. On your boat the orientation will be different and you can compare with the pictures. This is really true if you don't have a Yanmar or they don't have the exact model engine you have.

2) Make sure you have all your manuals.

3) Take notes and then rewrite them that night. I didn't and now when I refer back I can't read my writing or don't understand the notes. Larry ( Larry Berlin teaches the class) Makes a number of good recommendations but because of questions you can get off the rails. Your notes may reflect this by going off in different directions. example: during a discussion on flushing the antifreeze, we went off the rails on to the hight of the anti freeze reservoir then onto the hot water heater and air locks before getting back to flushing then off the rails again to types of antifreeze to use.

I got allot out of it and recommend the class.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking of taking it on a weekend, since I'm saving vacation time for the summer fun. There is a 3-day that starts on Friday 4/17/09 in Union NJ. 1 day clasroom, 2 days of hands-on training.

... Friday, Apr 17, 2009* Union, NJ

3-Day Seminar: Basic Diesel + Hands-On. The Basic and Hands-On seminars may be taken consecutively for a 3-day comprehensive training package. Please refer to the 1-Day Basic seminar list for dates noted with an asterisk (*). These 1-Day Basic Diesel seminar days are all followed immediately by a 2-Day Hands-On seminar. A discount is given for 3-Day seminar registrations.

Mack Boring & Parts Company - The Power Behind The Power

Cost is without negotiating is $899 becasue it's a weekend class. I think if we get a few people together, we can get them down a bunch, especially if there's extra room in the class.

If you are interested, let me know.

·
Registered
702 Posts
ya we are taking an april one, do they only have yanmar? my dad set this up so I have'nt really gotten a good description but it sounds like ti will be a big help. Bene thats about the same time we are going but we are going during the week.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I took a diesel class at the wooden boat school in Brooklin Main. Room, board. Lobster Friday night. It was nice to hang out with everyone after class talk to the others about different classes, great food great location they covered yanmar, Ford and 2 others. Great class. Me, just a student, no other connection. Wonderful sailing. After class your choice of school boats to sail around. Yeah it was a drive, but the savings not having to have a hotel for the weekend in Annapolis and not by my self at night and not having to worry about meals. I figured I saved money and got to sail around Maine a bit. Great vacation.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jay,

I'm leaning now toward the 2 day course in Annapolis. Since I have a Perkins Sabre engine, I figure that going to a school would be better than going to a Perkins dealer for my training.

I say "leaning" because I have a call into the Wooden Boat schol in Maine to see what kind of Diesel they use for their hands-on work. (Although not sure I want a cousre that long right now, so will probably go with the Annapolis school.)

Anyone want to rent-out a berth on their boat in Annapolis for the night of April 18th? Can pay in cash, beer or crewing that night. I'm not planning to sail our boat down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts