SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is almost here, or so I keep telling myself. Time to plan my Cinco De Mayo sail, all welcome to join at any stage.

This year if the weather is favorable I will be departing Essington PA on Friday May 2nd for Lewes DE on May 4th and a 6:00 AM 5th of May sunrise on Cape Henlopen Dune.

Stopping at Delaware City DE and Cohansey River NJ on the way down and the way back.

Tide and current are all good for morning departure daytime sailing except the last section from Delaware City up river to Essington on Thursday May 8 which will require a 4:00 AM departure, 2 hours before sunrise.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like Cape May also, but the canal/bay entrance is only safe for me to enter around slack, and that requires better planning on my part to arrive within a 1 hour time slot.

A 20ft sailboat with 16ft LWL has limits.

This summer I may use Fortescue NJ as my departure point for Cape May. Fortescue has been dredged after Sandy and departure timing is easier than Cohansey for a canal entry at slack.

Lewes Roosevelt inlet is more forgiving and I do like the longer diagonal crossing of the bay from Cohansey (sunrise to sunset for me)

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
As soon as the weather warms up, I look at my calendar and the weather forecasts for an open two week period for a trip. I would love to sail to Lewes or Cape May in the Spring if an opening appears.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
James, it would be great to meet up in Lewes if you can, I would really like to hear about your Delmarva circumnavigations.

Jimgo, early planning stages so Cape May is still a possibility. I will be be in Cape May on my way to Ocean City/Longport/Margate later in the summer probably July or August.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I'm keeping this in mind, but don't think I can take a whole week off for it.

Any thoughts of a shorter cruise through the canal and into the upper Bay? Not necessarily Cinco de May, but some other time?

Last year I thought that Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor was a nice one-day stopping-off point for other destinations in the upper Bay.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TakeFive
Dave's Sailnet June event and a day or two in the Chesapeake?

Or one day Essington to the upper Chesapeake, next day to somewhere below Annapolis?

Colin

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
TakeFive
Dave's Sailnet June event and a day or two in the Chesapeake?

Or one day Essington to the upper Chesapeake, next day to somewhere below Annapolis?

Colin
Colin,

Dave stated on another thread that he will probably not have time to host an event this ear. That's OK - there is lots else that's worth doing.

I made it from Essington to Patapsco in one day last year, but it was too much motoring on a schedule and no chance to stop and enjoy.

Essington to Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor is a nice first-day destination. They have very nice showers, a nice pool, only $1/foot for slip. Only drawback is no restaurant, but Lori would probably drive down and meet us (she hates the long motoring through the canal), so we could even use her car to drive out to a restaurant if we wanted to.

Bohemia to Annapolis is probably to long too do in one day on our boats, but there are lots of easily reachable destinations. Let me check some things out, and also check the currents for getting through the canal.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like to have a theme to begin planning a trip, May was Cinco de Mayo. Maybe June could be Juneteenth (19th of June officially recognised in NJ and DE but not PA and MD).

Lots of locations on the Eastern Shore connected to important figures in the evolution of our democracy; Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglas,...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back to Cinco De Mayo.

I have a project in Cape May 1st or 2nd week of May (tenant moving out April 30) so;

Lewes DE for May 5, then Cape May NJ for May 6 or 7, then returning to Essington PA the following week.

Informal sailnet meet-up Lewes DE May 5 or Mayers Tavern on Schellengers Landing Cape weekend of May 9 or 10 or 11?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Real life steps in every so often... Income generating activity Friday 2nd and Monday 5th, so no trip down the bay.
Saturday sail to Delaware City and Sunday return sail. Taking my computer to finish what I don't get done on Friday for Monday.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Real life steps in every so often... Income generating activity Friday 2nd and Monday 5th, so no trip down the bay.
Saturday sail to Delaware City and Sunday return sail. Taking my computer to finish what I don't get done on Friday for Monday.
Wow, wacky weather this weekend!

I hope you didn't hit any tree trunks. (We heard a few "thuds" when we were out Saturday.)

And I hope you made it back before the 30 kt gusts started up this afternoon.

I hope I can make it with you next time. Derek has ACT tests on June 14, so I'll have to singlehand down for Gary's event.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sailed down on Saturday, gentle breezes and lots of storm debris. Most of the the tree trunks, pallets, barrels, propane tanks, tires,... collected in large mats.

The Newcastle Sailing club was out on glassy water, but were making reasonable speed under spinnaker. They had dropped spinnakers by the time I passed them.

I met up with Beej at Delaware City Marina and assisted in removing a line from his prop (pointing and offering encouraging words).

Delaware City now has a coffee shop/bakery open at 6:00 AM, a very welcome addition, and the renovation of the old Central Hotel is well underway which will include a restaurant.

I departed before 11:00 AM on Sunday, about 1 hour before slack before flood to make as much progress up river before the 30+ winds began.

Reefed to 50% (I only have one reef in my new sail, but will add one at 25% later) until the end of the Bulkhead Shoal submerged jetty, then the winds became more dramatic. I dropped sail and motored the rest of the way, but still getting some assist from the untidy bunched sail secured to the boom.

The boat putted along with all its 6hp, and the prop never came out of the water. The most drama I experienced was from white caps and building waves breaking on my bow and diluting my cup of tea.

I have learned to just trust my little boat to get me home, and it will with minimal fuss.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
...I met up with Beej at Delaware City Marina and assisted in removing a line from his prop (pointing and offering encouraging words)...
Yeah, you became an expert at that at that marina last year. :(

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes Rick I am very good at pointing and offering encouragement. Oh you mean removing line from a prop, this was the 3rd prop I have been part of clearing a line from. Two where mine.

Gary I will be there on June 14.

Colin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.