SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually do my first long sail of the season around Cinco de Mayo.

This coming May the tides and currents are just right for departing Essington PA on May 1st "Beltane".

So this will be a Beltane cruise.

May 1st: Essington PA to Delaware City DE
May 2nd: Delaware City DE to Cohansey River NJ

That is as far as I have got on my planning, which depending on weather may continue on to Lewes or Cape May, or around one of the Bay abandoned lighthouse Miah Maull or Ship John, then back to Delaware City and Essington.

Very few blood thirsty insects in May, and while storms on the bay at times appear to come out of nowhere, the weather is usually benign.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Ulladh,

I'm currently booked to play the Philadelphia Wind Symphony concert on May 1, so I'll have to pass unless something forces me to drop out of the concert for that cycle. I'll pencil in your plans as a backup in case I can't do the concert.

FYI, our next PWS concert is Friday, December 12, in case you're interested in attending:

Philadelphia Wind Symphony

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
wow, I would love to be there, but I have a big Christmas party to perform for. Though I've cut back a lot, I still have 23 Christmas parties to do this year. Then a couple New Year's Eve parties, and sometime during that first week of January, I'm headed south till my age and the temperature are equal. OH YEAH!

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick
The March concert timing could work, but this coming Friday I will be in Cape May most of the day then meeting with my drafting team 9:00 to midnight. Things can and do change, and U of Arts is just a 20-30 min bus ride for me.

Gary
Nothing fixed including destination, just the departure from Essington on May 1st.
Coconut Lime Margarettas yes. The taste memory of arrival at Perryville.

For many reasons I have returned to not eating meat, not moral or ethical or even medical, just a personal choice, so I will pass on one of the best burgers I have tasted.

Colin

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charbroiled shrimp Teriyaki stuffed with crab;

When where, spring is almost too far away.

I will be departing Delaware City on May 2nd for wherever your grill is making magic.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
...I will be departing Delaware City on May 2nd for wherever your grill is making magic.
I forgot that you're stopping overnight at Delaware City. Maybe I can sail down there Wed. Apr. 29, leave the boat there a few nights, and head to Cohansey with you on Saturday. That's something to look forward to this dreary season!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick
Now we have the start of a plan.
Departing Delaware City on May 2nd for......

I like the Cohansey as a destination but the restaurant is not officially open until June, though the breakfast bar may be open for the regulars and live aboards.

Our long one day bash from Essington to Cohansey two years ago was hard work including fighting the tidal current off Artificial Island and entering the Cohansey as the sun set. So for me waiting at Delaware City for a favorable tidal current at Artificial Island is required.

Gary
Are you interested in the Cohansey, probably two days from Perryville with favorable tides, one day return to Perryville due to a more advantageous tidal current in the Delaware and the C&D.
Last time at Delaware City the entrance bar at low tide was less than 5ft at the green day marker for about one boat length, better than 9ft once past the bar all the way to DE Route 9 bridge.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Colin,

OpenCPN 4.0 will be coming out in a few days, and you might want to have a look at it for planning trips like this. Withe the OTCurrent plugin, you can get current predictions for any future day/time. It's a great tool for desktop planning, especially with the new features.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts

This coming May the tides and currents are just right for departing Essington PA on May 1st "Beltane".

That is as far as I have got on my planning, which depending on weather may continue on to Lewes or Cape May, or around one of the Bay abandoned lighthouse Miah Maull or Ship John, then back to Delaware City and Essington.

Very few blood thirsty insects in May, and while storms on the bay at times appear to come out of nowhere, the weather is usually benign.
Are you still planning to head out May 1? Looking at all the boats blocking me in and the total lack of yard work done on any of those boats, I'm not sure I can be launched in time. :mad:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O ye, of little faith. Spring will be here even as a I look at 5 inches of snow in my front yard this morning. Top side paint, hang the outboard and I am ready.

I have 4 or 5 boats between me and the travel lift, come April the yard will start splash even if it means shuffling boats that are not ready around the yard.

Ice chunks this winter took out one of the 16" diameter 60 ft plus steel piles at the down river end tee, so there will be some shuffling of boat slips while that pile is reset or replaced. Sheets of thick ice piled up 4 or 5 deep against the piling.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to be back in Philadelphia May 5 (got a presentation on May 6) so;

May 1 Essington to Delaware City
May 2 Delaware City to Cohansey
May 3 Cohansey to Delaware City
May 4 Delaware City to Essington

One day to spare.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts

Are you going to be in the water in time for this? I've got at least three large powerboats blocking me in, and virtually NO ACTIVITY going on to get them ready. This week was the window for launching at high tide, and I didn't see a single boat go in the water. It looks like there's no way I'm going to be in the water before May 3. :hothead

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Ulladh - Looks like you're in the water! I'm jealous.

My boat is all ready. Mast up, rig tensioned, rudder on, boom on, tested the motor today. But I'm still blocked in by at least two boats and I get the feeling that they don't even know who owns one of them. The guy who runs the yard was complaining to me yesterday that they have difficulty matching people to boats when the boats don't have names. The problem we have is that the boats that come out last (and block everyone in) are often the ones who procrastinate on EVERYTHING, so are least ready to go back in the water. These guys blocking us in are guests from another club, and they might not be welcomed back in the future.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Splash was 7:30 AM Sunday, originally scheduled for this past Wednesday but delayed due to high winds (71 mph gust at PHL that day).

This week and next you should see more boats at the Fox Grove slips with high tides starting at 9:00 this morning through Saturday 9th at 5:00 PM. If a boat is not ready and blocking other boats access Jim will move the boat out of the way and a charge for the move is in the contract.

I will not be at my end tee location until late May due to larger boats shuffled out of the prime down river slips until ice damaged pilings and floating docks are rebuilt.

May 1st or May 2nd will be a short sail to Delaware City and return the the next day. The 1st week of May is a full work week for me, not what I had planned.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Splash was 7:30 AM Sunday, originally scheduled for this past Wednesday but delayed due to high winds (71 mph gust at PHL that day).

This week and next you should see more boats at the Fox Grove slips with high tides starting at 9:00 this morning through Saturday 9th at 5:00 PM. If a boat is not ready and blocking other boats access Jim will move the boat out of the way and a charge for the move is in the contract.

I will not be at my end tee location until late May due to larger boats shuffled out of the prime down river slips until ice damaged pilings and floating docks are rebuilt.

May 1st or May 2nd will be a short sail to Delaware City and return the the next day. The 1st week of May is a full work week for me, not what I had planned.
Just a quick warning - Crabby Dick's is "closed for renovations." Not sure that's the true story, but Tim can probably tell you what the real reason is. There's a new restaurant in town that's OK, but a little noisy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts