SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Joined
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
267
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually do my first long sail of the season around Cinco de Mayo.

This coming May the tides and currents are just right for departing Essington PA on May 1st "Beltane".

So this will be a Beltane cruise.

May 1st: Essington PA to Delaware City DE
May 2nd: Delaware City DE to Cohansey River NJ

That is as far as I have got on my planning, which depending on weather may continue on to Lewes or Cape May, or around one of the Bay abandoned lighthouse Miah Maull or Ship John, then back to Delaware City and Essington.

Very few blood thirsty insects in May, and while storms on the bay at times appear to come out of nowhere, the weather is usually benign.
 

Registered
Joined
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
267
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick
The March concert timing could work, but this coming Friday I will be in Cape May most of the day then meeting with my drafting team 9:00 to midnight. Things can and do change, and U of Arts is just a 20-30 min bus ride for me.

Gary
Nothing fixed including destination, just the departure from Essington on May 1st.
Coconut Lime Margarettas yes. The taste memory of arrival at Perryville.

For many reasons I have returned to not eating meat, not moral or ethical or even medical, just a personal choice, so I will pass on one of the best burgers I have tasted.

Colin
 

Registered
Joined
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
267
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charbroiled shrimp Teriyaki stuffed with crab;

When where, spring is almost too far away.

I will be departing Delaware City on May 2nd for wherever your grill is making magic.
 

Registered
Joined
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
267
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick
Now we have the start of a plan.
Departing Delaware City on May 2nd for......

I like the Cohansey as a destination but the restaurant is not officially open until June, though the breakfast bar may be open for the regulars and live aboards.

Our long one day bash from Essington to Cohansey two years ago was hard work including fighting the tidal current off Artificial Island and entering the Cohansey as the sun set. So for me waiting at Delaware City for a favorable tidal current at Artificial Island is required.

Gary
Are you interested in the Cohansey, probably two days from Perryville with favorable tides, one day return to Perryville due to a more advantageous tidal current in the Delaware and the C&D.
Last time at Delaware City the entrance bar at low tide was less than 5ft at the green day marker for about one boat length, better than 9ft once past the bar all the way to DE Route 9 bridge.
 

Registered
Joined
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
267
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O ye, of little faith. Spring will be here even as a I look at 5 inches of snow in my front yard this morning. Top side paint, hang the outboard and I am ready.

I have 4 or 5 boats between me and the travel lift, come April the yard will start splash even if it means shuffling boats that are not ready around the yard.

Ice chunks this winter took out one of the 16" diameter 60 ft plus steel piles at the down river end tee, so there will be some shuffling of boat slips while that pile is reset or replaced. Sheets of thick ice piled up 4 or 5 deep against the piling.
 

Registered
Joined
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
267
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to be back in Philadelphia May 5 (got a presentation on May 6) so;

May 1 Essington to Delaware City
May 2 Delaware City to Cohansey
May 3 Cohansey to Delaware City
May 4 Delaware City to Essington

One day to spare.
 

Registered
Joined
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
267
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Splash was 7:30 AM Sunday, originally scheduled for this past Wednesday but delayed due to high winds (71 mph gust at PHL that day).

This week and next you should see more boats at the Fox Grove slips with high tides starting at 9:00 this morning through Saturday 9th at 5:00 PM. If a boat is not ready and blocking other boats access Jim will move the boat out of the way and a charge for the move is in the contract.

I will not be at my end tee location until late May due to larger boats shuffled out of the prime down river slips until ice damaged pilings and floating docks are rebuilt.

May 1st or May 2nd will be a short sail to Delaware City and return the the next day. The 1st week of May is a full work week for me, not what I had planned.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top