SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful 2007 Beneteau 49 that is located in Treasure Island, Florida. I would like to get it back to Nova Scotia by June and wondering who would like to take it up the coast on a vacation/ delivery for me. It has 3 cabins and fully appointed. You can take your time and have fun. I will contribute toward fuel. You can get to the boat early in Florida and hang on it a while. Located at fantastic yacht club with pool, restaurant and bar.

Sailboat experience required and navigation.

Contact me at [email protected]

Mark Holden
902-488-2410

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
I have a beautiful 2007 Beneteau 49 that is located in Treasure Island, Florida. I would like to get it back to Nova Scotia by June and wondering who would like to take it up the coast on a vacation/ delivery for me. It has 3 cabins and fully appointed. You can take your time and have fun. I will contribute toward fuel. You can get to the boat early in Florida and hang on it a while. Located at fantastic yacht club with pool, restaurant and bar.

Sailboat experience required and navigation.
Hmmm, your insurance underwriter must be very 'understanding'... :)

Nova Scotia by June, eh? Better make sure whoever you lend it out to is skilled at the art of radar navigation...

And, that they're aware of the existence and precise location of Sable Island...

:)

· Registered
124 Posts
Reaction score
There are many reasons why this might work and why it might work well--before we even get into the insurance thing. But there are even more reasons why it may not work at all--and may cost the owner a lot of money or even his $350k boat. And why won't the owner do it? Well--he has other things to do! Perhaps he has to be out earning a living so he can afford his boat. So he wants someone else to do it...for free. Sure, you can go online and write your own will or your own divorce agreement or design your own home or even cater you son's wedding by yourself, but there are many reasons why the wise hire professionals and pay professional fees to have experts do it. There are so many compelling reasons why a professional delivery crew is preferred to having a friend do it. However the OP is probably looking to save money--sure! He's a sailboat owner. We all want to save money but being penny wise and pound foolish always hurts you when it comes to a boat. Here is a question--suppose the boat and crew are beaten up by bad weather, mechanical problems, delays etc...who is more likely to duck into port and give it up--the professional crew or the owner's soon to be former friends? It never ceases to amaze me how so many boat owners earn huge incomes be being experienced or professionals or highly educated in order to own a fancy boat--and then don't believe in paying professionals to do their job. What if the guy who did the fiberglass layup on his Beneteau was just a hobbyist? What if the fellow who installed the engine was just a shadetree mechanic? Whatever this boat owner did to be able to afford a boat, it is not likely something that just anybody can do. Neither is a boat delivery. It's not a vacation cruise. It's a job.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
...--the professional crew or the owner's soon to be former friends? ...
He's not even asking friends to do the delivery, he's enlisting the help of strangers. And if he wants it up north by June, not leaving himself a lot of time to properly interview and vet those strangers.

Actually, I saw it going south when he said he'd "contribute" towards the fuel. Not only should these strangers deliver his boat for free, on a schedule, but they have to pay for fuel.

Reactions: boz86

· Registered
124 Posts
Reaction score
Oh, but the OP said it would be a "a vacation" where you can have fun and take your time. So, what;'s a little fuel. I wonder if the OP is as "cost conscious" when it comes to maintenance. I could just see a few guys paying to get to Florida and then finding the oil is dirty, filters are clogged, bilge pumps don't work! eck-it costs money to pay people to fix those things!

· Learning the HARD way...
7,911 Posts
Reaction score
He's not even asking friends to do the delivery, he's enlisting the help of strangers. And if he wants it up north by June, not leaving himself a lot of time to properly interview and vet those strangers.

Actually, I saw it going south when he said he'd "contribute" towards the fuel. Not only should these strangers deliver his boat for free, on a schedule, but they have to pay for fuel.
Was there a follow up to the delivery going south? Why, other than reducing the number of clients for the professional delivery captains by exactly one, is anyone getting upset by this?:confused:

It seems to me that this guy is looking for an inexpensive way to get his boat home. It is nice that he is posting the opportunity here. Because I am in Florida, and heading to Massachusetts, I am half tempted to take him up on his offer. I am NOT a professional delivery captain. I teach sailing and navigation for ASA and US Sailing schools, and believe that I have a decent sailing resume...

If I were to take him up on the offer, I would either PM him, email him, or call him on the phone.

I don't have an axe to grind. I'm not a delivery skipper. I am not calling him cheap, and I'm not second guessing him. I don't want to scare people away from him, or scare him away from making the offer. The vetting of skipper and boat will take place after someone raises their hand. Sheesh...

Why does everyone have to ass-u-me the worst case scenario? :confused:

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Reaction score
Leave Miami, find the Gulf Stream and ride it North. What could go wrong? :)

Maybe we can use his house and drive his car too! If I had a boat worth several hundred thou I would not be offering it to strangers!

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Was there a follow up to the delivery going south? ...
Why does everyone have to ass-u-me the worst case scenario? :confused:
I meant the post.

Hopefully he will find someone as experienced as you to deliver his boat. If you pursue it, best of luck.

· Registered
124 Posts
Reaction score
I think I've made a pretty strong case as to why it's a bad idea. No need to repeat it, but since the questions was posed "Why does everyone have to ass-u-me the worst case scenario?" I shall respond by stating "Because I have seen it happen so many times. It''s called experience." That's why it's a good idea to pay for experience. Sailing to Nova Scotia in June is not exactly a joy ride, but if that is the intent--that's what he'll get. Joy riders. If you have a USCG license and ASA certifications, that costs you time and money--so why not expect compensation?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.