SailNet Community banner
21 - 40 of 223 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Santa, I just did a trip from Cobb (Pirate's Den Marina) to St. George is. I thought it was only ~26 miles to the bay?

C2, as you saw, chuck is down for a partial trip. I'd be more than happy to pick up a crew member on my boat, but its a stripped racer. Nothing but essentials down below (sails, sh!tter, and safety gear). If you want to do it in your own boat, get with Chuck and meet us up near the Del canal. Or somewhere else. I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking to make some pretty good time on this trip considering most can only take off a week at a time. 6 days seems to be the norm with decent weather. BTW I actually have a subscription to Ches. bay boater, so I'm not ALL racer. :p However, if you'd like to make a friendly wager to which would include a drink or two, I'd be down to see who crosses the tunnel first! hahaha

Xort, I was under the impression that after OC there were places south of that but all had shoals that moved without warning.

Freesail, keep this page on your favorites, b/c the guys I talked to tonight are all about making the trip. If you could find a decent spot to meet you, I'm sure we could time it right to swing by.

For anyone else who is thinking of meeting up, don't be afraid to say so, I'm getting PMs about people wanting to do the trip and either provide a boat or crew for someone else. Should be a blast and the longest part of the trip seems to be the offshore section between OC and the mouth of the bay. If your on the way, please suggest local places that are sailboat friendly so we can pin down some good spots and start planning specific days. Late may/ early June is looking pretty good right now. If we can plan it over labor day weekend, then that would give us an extra day to sail w/o having to use vacation time.

For anyone who wants a great ride, I plan to take a full set of sails to include 2 mains, 2 jibs, one genoa, and 2 chutes. Just in case we get a little over confident blow out a couple. :D

I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think it's called Chinocotegue? An inlet south of Ocean City. It looks like there is good depth all the way in if you are careful to avoid the shoaling spots. Does this spot change to often to be usabale?
Chincotegue is note a good place for putting in. Heavy watermen traffic, shallow depth and changing channel with bad shoaling. Also no marinas to speak of. Its pretty much a run all the way outside unless you have less than 3 ft draft.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Cool! Your idea of "pretty good time".. as compared to others may be different! hehhehe.... (I think we have the same idea of what that means though..)

Thinkin' of takin' my boat and convincing my Dad to join on his too!

Safety in numbers!

Totally interested!

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
C2 re-read for edit. :p

My point exactly on the safety in numbers. I don't want this to turn into a BFS thread. :eek:

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
C2 re-read for edit. :p

My point exactly on the safety in numbers. I don't want this to turn into a BFS thread. :eek:
HAHah!

No worries on the BFS! (although I don't hate that thread....)

This could turn out to be a great cruise...!! Perhaps a "splash" of competition thrown in for good measure provided it doesn't detract from the fun of the whole thing... Primary objective should be in my opinion "great experience and camaraderie."

[start condescending voice] I think it's cute how you think you can sail faster than me. Cute. Really. Cute.... [pats you on top of the head]

ANYWAY.... :D :D :D :p

Totally a great idea.. maybe we could come up with a rough plan of stops along the way. Then, everyday [or every other day or on select legs] could be a race between you and I (and any others) to the next rendezvous point. Winner get's a free beer or three that evening... :) :D :D :D

That would maintain the primary objective (my opinion) of a great cruise and camaraderie while adding a few legs of competitive fun along the way for those that are interested! Just a suggestion...

Fun Discussion!

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
[start condescending voice] I think it's cute how you think you can sail faster than me. Cute. Really. Cute.... [pats you on top of the head]
Can you even see the top of my head? lmao And you had better win, considering you boat rates a lot faster. Are you prepared to give me 30 seconds a mile? 144 to 174? If not, maybe 2:1 odds? This could get REAL interesting. what does it take you to plane? 40knts on the stern?
Size matters little in a stiff breeze with big rollers.

Totally a great idea.. maybe we could come up with a rough plan of stops along the way. Then, everyday [or every other day or on select legs] could be a race between you and I (and any others) to the next rendezvous point. Winner get's a free beer or three that evening... :) :D :D :D
I'm down, sounds like a good way to get some friendly competition together with little or nothing to lose but pride. And I lost all of that a long time ago. :D

That would maintain the primary objective (my opinion) of a great cruise and camaraderie while adding a few legs of competitive fun along the way for those that are interested! Just a suggestion...
Fun Discussion!
Agreed. If anyone is interested in a point A to point B race post up, it would definitely keep people interested in making good time. Nothing too serious obviously.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Can you even see the top of my head? lmao And you had better win, considering you boat rates a lot faster. Are you prepared to give me 30 seconds a mile? 144 to 174? If not, maybe 2:1 odds? This could get REAL interesting. what does it take you to plane? 40knts on the stern?
Size matters little in a stiff breeze with big rollers.
Nice one!

We can work some PHRFing into this in a very subtle sort of way. You can get up at 6 and start and I'll roll out of the bunk at 730 or so....! :D :D

40 knots on the stern indeed... (note to self need to get the chute)

Tell you what. If you get tired, we can always pull your boat along as a dinghy behind mine. :p

·
Registered
262 Posts
We attempted a circumnavigation last summer from Galesville south to go out to the canyons and fish under sail 30 miles out of the entrance taking a round route to Cape May. Great start buy we ran into rough weather in the middle of the night at the mouth, lost the engine, and decided to sail back to the mouth of the Rappahanock and recover. Sailed back home. Now everything is fixed and may try it again next summer, but I allocated only six days for the whole thing. (We sailed in shifts). Here's a couple pics and clips of the trip.
Picasa Web Albums - Moe - JuneSailFishi...

Moe

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We attempted a circumnavigation last summer from Galesville south to go out to the canyons and fish under sail 30 miles out of the entrance taking a round route to Cape May. Great start buy we ran into rough weather in the middle of the night at the mouth, lost the engine, and decided to sail back to the mouth of the Rappahanock and recover. Sailed back home. Now everything is fixed and may try it again next summer, but I allocated only six days for the whole thing. (We sailed in shifts). Here's a couple pics and clips of the trip.
Picasa Web Albums - Moe - JuneSailFishi...

Moe
Moe, we'd be delighted to have you join us for the trip.

We can work some PHRFing into this in a very subtle sort of way. You can get up at 6 and start and I'll roll out of the bunk at 730 or so....!
40 knots on the stern indeed... (note to self need to get the chute)
Tell you what. If you get tired, we can always pull your boat along as a dinghy behind mine
I have a friend with a chute from a flying scott you could cut your teeth on. Don't want to "over power" your cruiser. :p
And I saw those "trophies" you posted in another thread. I've set off mortars on the 4th of July that were double the size of those paper weights.

Disclaimer: I used to drag race/ street race for the better part of a decade, so trash talking is as important as the actual race. ;)

Back on topic. We need to look at tides, prevailing winds, ports of interest, and try to get a head count of who's a definite. I'll come up with a list tomorrow when I should be working.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Moe, we'd be delighted to have you join us for the trip.

I have a friend with a chute from a flying scott you could cut your teeth on. Don't want to "over power" your cruiser. :p
And I saw those "trophies" you posted in another thread. I've set off mortars on the 4th of July that were double the size of those paper weights.

Disclaimer: I used to drag race/ street race for the better part of a decade, so trash talking is as important as the actual race. ;)

Back on topic. We need to look at tides, prevailing winds, ports of interest, and try to get a head count of who's a definite. I'll come up with a list tomorrow when I should be working.
:D :D :D :D :D

C R U I S E R ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Those yahoo's don't know what a traveler is for!!! :p :) :D

Oh.. I will throw your monkey butt overboard when you least expect it!

I hope the water is COOOOOLLLLDDDDDDDD.. you SOB.

I'm calling in a photoshopairstrike from Gui right now. I have pics.. OH I HAVE PICS! :)

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Oh btw, have you mentioned the obscenity you call a traveler to your yacht club? I believe if your traveler exceeds your beam, you must take a 10 sec/mile hit in your rating. Flying buttresses require less exterior support than that monstrosity.

<--- checking the chesbay rule book.....:laugher

I'm out, my beers are dry, the rum is gone, and I'm out of smokes...

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Oh btw, have you mentioned the obscenity you call a traveler to your yacht club? I believe if your traveler exceeds your beam, you must take a 10 sec/mile hit in your rating. Flying buttresses require less exterior support than that monstrosity.

<--- checking the chesbay rule book.....:laugher

I'm out, my beers are dry, the rum is gone, and I'm out of smokes...
BAhahhahahaha!
Point ZZ!

I may have extended my traveler for other 'compensation' reasons!

heh :D :D

Attachments

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
This is a trip I've been wanting to do as well. I'll have to see if the timing works.

Quickly looking at the chart, it's a 360nm journey, with 150nm of it offshore, that's a 24+/- hour trip up the coast with no great options to duck in, but in a pinch there are a few. Questions are go up or down the coast & layovers.

It could be (read either clockwise or counter) Annapolis to Solomons to Irvington or Mobjack Bay to Cape Charles or Hampton/Norfolk then offshore to Cape May then Chesapeake City and back to Annapolis. It would be a workable schedule,not too rushed, about a week or so depending on weather. Anyone could hook up with the fleet any any location as it passes.

Then again, only if I can work it into my schedule, and if so I may be looking for an extra hand or two.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
I am suggesting...a start date of May 18th'ish' to June 8th'sh'

Just a first go at a date....we've got some time to decide...

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That sounds good to me. BTW, memorial day is the 25th of May 2009. That would be an additional day off of work for those of us who still work for 'the man'.

T37SOLARE, I don't mind going around in either direction, and having others come and go at different parts of the trip is exactly what I was thinking. We'll have a mapped route in advance, a list of boats, and ETAs on our stops along the way.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
T37SOLARE, I don't mind going around in either direction, and having others come and go at different parts of the trip is exactly what I was thinking. We'll have a mapped route in advance, a list of boats, and ETAs on our stops along the way.
That sounds like fun for those of us not wanting to make the entire trip, sorta of a join-up or drop-out cruise. Maybe make the ones coming in briefly (like me) could the bring beer...

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That sounds like fun for those of us not wanting to make the entire trip, sorta of a join-up or drop-out cruise. Maybe make the ones coming in briefly (like me) could the bring beer...
and ICE!!! :) :cool:

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Craig,
Aren't you done modifying that anchor locker as cold storage yet?

Don't worry, some of us can actually make ice while sailing - so my Rum and cokes will be cold.

All
If, and I say If, I can make this we'll cruise with/in company with Craig and his dad on Saoirse and Serenity for as long as we can.

I think he can keep up if we drag our dinghy :), promise not to use our screacher, and leave my drive leg down while trimming the sails in 'cruise' mode.
Maybe I'll promise to only use the center 4 (of 8) feet of my traveler also.
Boat Vehicle Water transportation Naval architecture Watercraft

I'll be limited on time off as I have a wedding in the BVI to attend in July and only so much vacation time.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Craig,
Aren't you done modifying that anchor locker as cold storage yet?

Don't worry, some of us can actually make ice while sailing - so my Rum and cokes will be cold.
If you're talking about the little deck closet up at the pointy end, I've taken out the giant metal bits and ropes and chains and am now fitting insulation.

I'll post a photo documentary this winter... when I finish it up.

21 - 40 of 223 Posts