SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
At one time i think there were a few boats on route from pto rico to florida that pulled safe harbor at the ragged islands..but that was a while back. That storm has passed...

Yep, head down
Trackers off
Publish zippo

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I was also wondering about the Riley on LaVagabonde. Seems he is crazy about spearfishing too. I thought spear guns were not permitted in the Bahamas? Yet he seemed to be doing it quite often when they were in the region too. At some point the locals may say enough and cruising through the area may become more restrictive.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
Wow that article had very little to do with reality. Other than the lobster thing which the rest of the fast and loose facts makes me a tad reluctant to believe. I mean seriously, it implies they just hopped over from Florida to escape covid rather than getting there via an atlantic loop (let alone going all the way around the world).

Still, it possible they are breaking a few immigration laws—but then again who isn't if they are world travellers. The big issue for them is that Karin is not a U.S. citizen and they had some doubt she would be allowed to enter the U.S. And with a new baby they weren't keen to risk separation. Their eventual plan is to head north to the Baltics.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was also wondering about the Riley on LaVagabonde. Seems he is crazy about spearfishing too. I thought spear guns were not permitted in the Bahamas? Yet he seemed to be doing it quite often when they were in the region too. At some point the locals may say enough and cruising through the area may become more restrictive.
Spearfishing is allowed in the Bahamas, except spear guns are illegal, as is using scuba. Pole spears and Hawaiian slings free diving are fine. The locals are fine with cruisers fishing within the laws. The commercial fisheries exist outside of any areas most cruisers could physically fish in. If he was using a spear gun, then that is simply unacceptable, and it is something the cruising community should rightfully call out.

People who break laws spoil it for everyone.

Mark

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
So you agree that they were doing illegal fishing, breaking a country's lockdown laws, and breaking a country's immigration laws. What part of the article didn't have to do with reality? Which part of their actions do you excuse, and would you excuse a Mexican citizen illegally in the US doing the same?

Mark
No I don't agree they were doing illegal fishing. I actually expressed scepticism.

I can cite dozens of travellers in countries who are locked down way past their original visa expiry dates.

The article implies they came from the US. They didn't. It implies they are American citizens. They aren't. It implies the RBDF "immediately" reacted to reports. The video they are talking about is weeks old.

Frankly not being American I don't have the same "fear" of illegal immigrants you do, so no, I wouldn't have an issue with a Mexican sheltering here in Canada.

But I really don't want to get into an argument about it. I just said it was playing fast and loose with the truth. We can all there fore choose believe the version of reality that suits our own prejudices (and yes, I include myself in that.)

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
That is not the case here. They have not made contact with immigration, and were intentionally hiding. They were also mixing with inter-island transports bringing supplies to Ragged, which was against the law. Their need to feed the video and marketing machine was stupid on their part.

This type of self-centered behavior spoils the road for everyone else.

Mark
Holy crapoli.... I am not one to decry "fake news" but you got all those "facts" from one poorly written article?

But ok. you have your opinion and I have mine and we can call a truce. Carry on y'all (he says in American, just trying to fit in :wink)...

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Didn't we see this BBC article posted on SN recently? Most of the footage was considered to be reposts from prior videos of all the youtubers.

All this article says is they're looking into it, rather than condemn. Until there are more facts, we just don't know. I don't understand the rush to judgement.

Having seen many of their vids that explicitly show them clearing in and out of countries around the world, it would surprise me if they just skipped it. I would not surprise me, if they out stayed their visa. A concept, if the USA comparison is being invoked, is very trendy here. There are understood to be millions of people in the USA that have done that, most of which are highly protected, even granted government benefits and school for their kids in some places.

Given the evolving virus lock downs everywhere, I'd claim a maritime law safe haven.

The reporting is clearly bad, given the crew has been on a circumnavigation, not a jaunt over from FL and Karen is not a US citizen. Hard to get facts from an "abandon island".

Reactions: MacBlaze

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The reporting is clearly bad, given the crew has been on a circumnavigation, not a jaunt over from FL and Karen is not a US citizen. Hard to get facts from an "abandon island".
Where does the article say that they came 'on a jaunt over from FL"? Where does it mention Karen's citizenship?

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
Where does the article say that they came 'on a jaunt over from FL"? Where does it mention Karen's citizenship?
That's teh problem. It doesn't "say" anything but implies a lot:

Some people insisted the story romanticized the couple opting to flee from the coronavirus outbreak in their country, noting that given their length of stay, they had ample time to return home.

·
1979 Morgan Out Island 41
84 Posts
The rebuttal: https://ewnews.com/sailing-vloggers-defend-isolation-in-bahamian-waters?fbclid=IwAR2CPg31zU31V3r-8BJ5I59QMmUvE5waSD-6Z4Dzua_Y_JwzST85etVv_zI

"In an interview with Eyewitness News today, Trautman insisted that these misconceptions were not true.
“We did in fact legally clear into the Bahamas through Customs and Immigration and were provided a cruising permit for our boat and fishing permit, as well as paid all our fees required for checking in,” he said.
“Since the lockdown order came into place we have observed the notices by sheltering in place.
“We are very passionate about conservation and following the laws and guidelines set out by The Bahamas government, and go out of our way to support marine conservation initiatives. “

He further explained that the content for their videos is filmed weeks in advance, so the footage shown during the interview was filmed in February and March prior to the lobster season-ending.

Trautman noted that it is understandable how easy it is to mistake that everything filmed is current, however, he sought to assure that they are not breaking or flaunting The Bahamas’ rules while the rest of the country is on lockdown."

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
That's teh problem. It doesn't "say" anything but implies a lot:
Let me get this straight: the article does NOT say something that has been claimed it did, and THAT is 'the problem' with the article?

So, you are making your own interpretation of something that was never said in the article but "implied" (by you), and then you complain about "fake news."

This is what you said:
"Holy crapoli.... I am not one to decry "fake news" but you got all those "facts" from one poorly written article?"

How about just sticking to the facts?

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
Let me get this straight: the article does NOT say something that has been claimed it did, and THAT is 'the problem' with the article?

So, you are making your own interpretation of something that was never said in the article but "implied" (by you), and then you complain about "fake news."

This is what you said:
"Holy crapoli.... I am not one to decry "fake news" but you got all those "facts" from one poorly written article?"

How about just sticking to the facts?
If that's your idea of media literacy then we aren't just not going to see eye to eye.

And I wasn't the one stating facts. Go back and reread it. I used the word "implied" over and over again.

Mark was the one who stated "That is not the case here. They have not made contact with immigration, and were intentionally hiding. They were also mixing with inter-island transports bringing supplies to Ragged, which was against the law. Their need to feed the video and marketing machine was stupid on their part." While he might be right or he might be wrong, my opinion is that none of those things stated were facts, certainly not based on the article we were all referencing.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
If that's your idea of media literacy then we aren't just not going to see eye to eye.

And I wasn't the one stating facts. Go back and reread it. I used the word "implied" over and over again.

Mark was the one who stated "That is not the case here. They have not made contact with immigration, and were intentionally hiding. They were also mixing with inter-island transports bringing supplies to Ragged, which was against the law. Their need to feed the video and marketing machine was stupid on their part." While he might be right or he might be wrong, my opinion is that none of those things stated were facts, certainly not based on the article we were all referencing.

My post was in response to another post in which it was stated that "The reporting is clearly bad, given the crew has been on a circumnavigation, not a jaunt over from FL and Karen is not a US citizen." I asked for where this was stated in the article, when you came in and gave your interpretation of what was 'implied' in the article and said that it was a problem that this was NOT said.

Go back and read (to use your congenial phrase)

I cannot speak for Mark. He says he has background knowledge, I don't.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
My post was in response to another post in which it was stated that "The reporting is clearly bad, given the crew has been on a circumnavigation, not a jaunt over from FL and Karen is not a US citizen." I asked for where this was stated in the article, when you came in and gave your interpretation of what was 'implied' in the article and said that it was a problem that this was NOT said.

Go back and read (to use your congenial phrase)

I cannot speak for Mark. He says he has background knowledge, I don't.
So you don't think journalism by innuendo is a problem? I imagine you actually do but somehow are managing to misread the dialog that is occurring.

Minnie was using the two facts stated above to make the point. He did not claim that the article stated those facts but rather used them of proof to support his claim "The reporting is clearly bad,..." In my opinion the article's (erroneous) implications invalidated the value of the reporting.

So we can disagree about about the "validity" of the article if you want (although the followup article seems to speak to that), but I still maintain it's pretty crappy journalism. If a "news outlet" implies that a set of facts are true to sensationalize that's a problem to me. If people are mislead by it, I think it's an even bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
So you don't think journalism by innuendo is a problem? I imagine you actually do but somehow are managing to misread the dialog that is occurring.

Minnie was using the two facts stated above to make the point. He did not claim that the article stated those facts but rather used them of proof to support his claim "The reporting is clearly bad,..." In my opinion the article's (erroneous) implications invalidated the value of the reporting.

So we can disagree about about the "validity" of the article if you want (although the followup article seems to speak to that), but I still maintain it's pretty crappy journalism. If a "news outlet" implies that a set of facts are true to sensationalize that's a problem to me. If people are mislead by it, I think it's an even bigger problem.
"Journalism by innuendo" can be a problem. But I don't see this here, apparently you do. So this is a question of interpretation. What is not a question of interpretation, and a much bigger problem, is if facts are mis-stated. I believe we all agree this is not the case here.

The 'follow-up article' is a rebuttal by Delos. Its veracity has been doubted in some of the commentaries by Bahamians. Based on the voice-over (made by Delos) they claim that the videos were taken during the closed fishing/lobstering season, and not months ago, as Delos claims. They ask that Delos shows that this is not the case. Again, I have no way to know what is correct or not correct but I believe this is not an unreasonable request.

BTW, why do you put "news outlet" in quotation marks?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts