SailNet Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
BTW, why do you put "news outlet" in quotation marks?
Mostly because I couldn't be arsed to investigate the source and the quality of the reporting made me lean towards not-all-that-authoritative. In matters of little-to-no importance, first impressions tend to stick. But as you say, the whole thing is just a matter of interpretation.

Hopefully in the end it won't cause a big furor since I imagine east-coast cruisers would be a bit peeved if their relationship with the Bahamas gets run down.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Where does the article say that they came 'on a jaunt over from FL"? Where does it mention Karen's citizenship?
When did I say it did? Thanks to others for explaining it to you. You seem to have a running problem with my posts. Shove off........

As to the bad reporting, that stands. Especially, given Delos reply. Innocent until proven guilty never seems to apply to media criticism and they provided no support for the accusations, they only report the sensational possibility.

This is a quote from the bad reporting.....

The BBC story garnered some criticism by those who questioned whether the couple was in Bahamian waters legally and whether they could be considered poachers.
No mention of who "those who questioned" actually are, no support for why they'd question. In fact, it's normal for YouTube videos to be months old. The educated default assumption would be the video is dated. If they had facts from the "uninhabited island" they should have substantiated them and revealed why they were credible. Otherwise, it simply reads a sensational story.

I hope they didn't fail to clear into the Bahama's, but that's easily settled, prior to smearing someone in the news. If they obtained a cruising permit, as they say they did, I believe they are good for more than the 100 days declared in the news article.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
When did I say it did? Thanks to others for explaining it to you. You seem to have a running problem with my posts. Shove off........

Actually, I don't have a problem with (most of) your posts. I consider you as one of the more level-headed and rational posters on SN. And I agree (after MacB made me read it again more carefully) that you did not explicitly say that the article said that.

Then again, I did not claim that you said it did, I only asked a question :grin

As to the bad reporting, that stands. Especially, given Delos reply. Innocent until proven guilty never seems to apply to media criticism and they provided no support for the accusations, they only report the sensational possibility.

This is a quote from the bad reporting.....

No mention of who "those who questioned" actually are, no support for why they'd question. In fact, it's normal for YouTube videos to be months old. The educated default assumption would be the video is dated. If they had facts from the "uninhabited island" they should have substantiated them and revealed why they were credible. Otherwise, it simply reads a sensational story.

I hope they didn't fail to clear into the Bahama's, but that's easily settled, prior to smearing someone in the news. If they obtained a cruising permit, as they say they did, I believe they are good for more than the 100 days declared in the news article.
I think we should wait until the Bahamian authorities investigate. Then we will see who has egg on their face, Delos or the newspaper

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
I think we should wait until the Bahamian authorities investigate. Then we will see who has egg on their face, Delos or the newspaper
Fair enough, I simply had a problem with drawing a conclusion, based upon the flawed news article.

I noticed the OP deleted the link to the news article, which I thought to go back and check to see how it's published date compares to Delos last video. I'm attaching it again, so others that read the thread have some idea what we're talking about.

https://ewnews.com/rbdf-probing-reports-of-couple-isolating-on-uninhabited-bahamian-island

The article was published on May 26. On May 22, Delos published a video of their passage from months earlier, showing them departing San Juan and claims they were headed to Inagua, Bahamas. Inagua is a port of entry, so we'll see. That doesn't prove they cleared in, but they could not have edited it, after the fact, to make it look good.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry, I didn't mean to remove the original link - only my posts. The reason for that is I am taking attack outside this forum, and I have enough going on right now to not care about this, so simply removed the cause.

Mark

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
Wait are we questioning whether video bloggers sailing and cruising stories aren't just like real life? You mean it isn't all pretty beaches, sundowners, and young pretty shirtless women?

I agree that flaunting the rules causes problems for all of us. The reason people do it is they they don't get called on it and get away with it and that plays well into some people's sense of entitlement. In the end I am in the camp of "if they broke the rules I hope they get in trouble for it".

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
If they failed to clear into a foreign country, they should be in trouble.

If they outstayed a visa, as the pandemic evolved, I don't think so. Doubt this was the issue anyway.

If they ate a few lobsters, off an uninhabited island, while waiting out a pandemic, to feed a family of three, not commercially or excessively harvest....... that's going to be a judgement call. There's nothing that proves they did this and it's not right to do. However, I find it be jay walking, in the backdrop of a pandemic shutdown, and a hand slap would be pushing the boundaries of cruel and unusual.

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
I saw an article today about the original posting story. Sounds as the officials are aware of the whole thing and have/are looking nto and there isnt a problem.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
I saw an article today about the original posting story. Sounds as the officials are aware of the whole thing and have/are looking nto and there isnt a problem.
If that's true, and I expect it is, I hope the original media source prints that conclusion. I was not able to find they did and most don't.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Yup. Just watched. At this point, I’m sure they were intentional to publish actual footage of clearing in.

Haters gonna hate. Media sells news, it doesn’t report news.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Yup. Just watched. At this point, I’m sure they were intentional to publish actual footage of clearing in.

Haters gonna hate. Media sells news, it doesn’t report news.

They are anchored out in the the Bahamas Ragged Islands. Looks like a sweet spot to hang out for a few months as long as the generator and Washing Machine holds up to clean the diapers. :)

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
The video shows they checked in on Inagua, which they clearly document, including video of the customs officer and building. It then says they left immediately for the Ragged Islands, which would predate the lockdown. That is harder to prove, but the media's burden should be to prove, or at least have some evidence, otherwise, not just spread rumors to sell advertising.

They've spent more time off the grid before, in the Indian Ocean, as I recall.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The video shows they checked in on Inagua, which they clearly document, including video of the customs officer and building. It then says they left immediately for the Ragged Islands, which would predate the lockdown. That is harder to prove, but the media's burden should be to prove, or at least have some evidence, otherwise, not just spread rumors to sell advertising.

They've spent more time off the grid before, in the Indian Ocean, as I recall.
Their passage was a little tougher than previous ones and is reminder on how different each can be. Not having additional crew and a baby limited their sleep compared when they had ample crew on previous trips and had plenty of rest. I pretty much sail alone these days and would sometimes envy them when they were able to get so much stuff done with the extra hands on board. On the other hand their provisions will last much longer without seven mouths to feed. But, their dive compressor may start to rust as they will no longer be able to do the diving they use to do when they had several divers on board and no baby. Reminded me is no right way or wrong way to cruise just different ways. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts