SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Here on the windy east coast of Newfoundland we're all required to demast our boats for the winter. As this isn't the case for central NL (where the boast was delivered from) the previous owner doesn't have any experience in doing so.

I'm fairly confident on removing the standing rigging - even the furler (which happened to accidentally un-step about 3 hours west of Bonavista one day, but that's another story for another day). But my question is moreso regarding where the mast sits on the deck.

I presume that there's a raised section in the centre that mimics the interior cavity of the mast and is a few inches high, but that's just a guess. There aren't any bolts or anything obvious there to remove, so once I slacken and remove the standing rigging (with the mast secured on the crane), does it just simply lift off? Please see the attached for reference.

Thanks!
Trevor

Attachments

·
19,488 Posts
I see no obvious pin or bolt at the base, so I would assume that once the rigging is no longer holding the mast down it will simply lift off the mast step plate. Be sure to support the mast with the crane prior to disconnecting the shrouds and stays.

Don't forget about any wiring that may be in the mast. There should be a fairly obvious terminal strip near the mast step (inside the boat) where you should disconnect the wires before lifting the mast. If your nav lights are on the bow and you have no steaming or anchor light then you may not have to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Like Faster said. Being deck stepped the wires exit the mast on deck (see photo) and can be disconnected there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yes, even if it has a indent. Some masts are made to lower down with a pulley system so they have a tabernacle at the base. (Male and Female). Some have a hinge but it does not look like yours does. It should be just sitting on a flat plate. If you have to do this each year think about a hinge so you can just do it yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have it right. Once the rigging and electrical is disconnected the mast lifts off the base. he mast is fairly well balanced if lifted just under the spreaders.

Hope that helps

James

Hey all,

Here on the windy east coast of Newfoundland we're all required to demast our boats for the winter. As this isn't the case for central NL (where the boast was delivered from) the previous owner doesn't have any experience in doing so.

I'm fairly confident on removing the standing rigging - even the furler (which happened to accidentally un-step about 3 hours west of Bonavista one day, but that's another story for another day). But my question is moreso regarding where the mast sits on the deck.

I presume that there's a raised section in the centre that mimics the interior cavity of the mast and is a few inches high, but that's just a guess. There aren't any bolts or anything obvious there to remove, so once I slacken and remove the standing rigging (with the mast secured on the crane), does it just simply lift off? Please see the attached for reference.

Thanks!
Trevor

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks James! The mast is down and all packed away. There were 4 other owners there who helped me and we got the whole job done in about 10 minutes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts