SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I can do this here, but here it goes..

Dennis Conner is not loved or wanted over at SA..but if you can...jump over this side, just for a little bit and read a FIRST TIME EVER!!

Dennis Conner gives an interview to SA!! yes..of all places, he accepts an interview by one of the places that most hammered him...

Read what he says about the J24's..(opinion that I agree with), and stars and much much more...

Worth the reading

·
Administrator
9,256 Posts
I agree on the J-24 but the J-30 is a close second.....

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Off course we agree...and pretty much everyone else I know that sails

(man I gotta duck now...shrapnel coming my way)
Good thing I am going home tomorrow and be away from here a while

·
19,489 Posts
That is a good interview - DC comes off as honest, direct and down to earth (at least as anyone who owns well over half a dozen different boats can be). Props to him for agreeing to what could have been a bit of a hatchet job.

·
Registered
516 Posts
DC,
At least he had the balls to do this...:D

I tip my hat to the man for that...Rest i am still undecided..

Puts a tq and a clotting powder on Alex for what is sure to come on...

Mark

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
DC was in Dallas a few years ago for a regatta. He has always been my absolute favorite skipper!!! I agree with DC.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Name another boat of the same era in the same price range that can do double digits SOG off the breeze, has a vibrant OD fleet, and is still competitive in PHRF. The J30 can be had - easily - for $25K ready to go. It is a breeze to single hand and is easily comfortable enough to cruise for shorter periods. I know skippers that have raced the Chi-Mac and Isla Del Sol (P'Cola to Isla Mujeres) on their J30s, some have crossed the Atlantic, others the Pacific.

Are there faster boats? Yup. More comfortable boats? OF COURSE.

But what other boat does all of the above at its price point?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Okay Sailnet. You've got the most desired demographics in sailing (dudes with actual cash). How did SA scoop you?

In the mean time, people here are complaining about $99 GPS orders. Do I need to spell it out for you?

You're killin' me here.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
DC rocks... he took a 60' catamaran and proceeded to kick the everliving daylights out of a much bigger, much more favored monohull. :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Giu,

Thanks for pointing this out -- I don't get over to SA very often, and would have missed the interview otherwise.

DC and SA did a great job with that one.

P.S. Retclt, thanks for the link.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dennis Conner J-24/30

Dennis Conner's statement sounds like "sour grapes".
I've never sailed a J-24 or a J-30. I always liked a J-30 and would one day consider owning one.
So why would Dennis Conner bash the 24, and others here place the J-30 a close second? Hull form? Balance? Sail plan? Safety? Envy?
Would someone care to write an objective statement regarding these two boats?
Thanks,
msl

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well being and early buyer in 1981 when they had already sold over 2700 boats in just a few years with no real advertising compared to what is done now :rolleyes: i guess there were a lot of stupid people :p

Are J24 was NOT bought as a race boat BUT a small affordable weekend boat when your 26 years old and you don't want to sail a bathtub it was the best boat at the time and will still go to weather as well as any comparable current boat

It was used a weekend boat with a few solar shower bags until we had children and slowly drifted into a race boat

So here we are in 2008 i was stupid enough to go buy another 1981 J24 and what do i find, as bad as race boat it might be i can still go out with my now grown son (24) and daughter(21) and place in races :laugher

If you really want to laugh look at the FABULOUS Flying Tiger 10 videos on youtube 6 200# guys needed for rail meat and the boat is still tender as hell

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks, Tommays. I am just uncertain why someone as influential as Dennis Conner is, would bash the Johnston's design in such a way?
Are they racing rivals? Maybe his remark wasn't meant to be serious.

And there is no need to continue this thread - it just struck me as a curious, uncalled for statement made by an icon of professional sailing, spoken during a formal interview.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts