SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an S2 7.3 that has a non-functional thru-hull depth transducer (picture attached).

Unfortunately the boat is 3 hours away and I forgot to measure the thru-hull the last time I was out; I won't get back there for another couple of weeks.

So - does anyone recognize the transducer from the picture and happen to know the dimensions?

Or, conversely - are depth sounder thru-hull bungs standardized to fit pretty much any transducer?

I'd like to buy a new system (transducer and display) that can fit into the existing bung.

Also, I've heard it's possible to swap out the transducer with the boat in the water. Does anyone have actual experience doing this? How much water flowed in in the process (seems to me there's lots of pressure)? Anyway to block the hole from the outside while swapping out?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do not recognize the transducer, you could contact http://www.airmartechnology.com/, they make most of the transducers for many different manufacturers.

No, the transducers are not a standard size, and likely the new system you are looking at may not be the same dimensions.

Yes, it is very easy to swap out transducers, most speed transducers are made with this in mind. If you are quick you may get a quart of water, and slowly a gallon or so. Worst case you can put your hand over it or stuff a rag in it. The pressure is 14.7 psi for 30 feet depth ~ 3 psi for 5 feet underwater.

You could block the hole from the outside with a piece of sail or canvas, but you're going to get a lot wetter.

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
I agree with bheintz about the ease of swapping the transducer while the boat is in the water. Just don't do what I once did and get the threads crossed the first time. It took me four goes before I finally got the damn thing back on. I was sweating profusely by then and the bilge pump was going flat out! :eek:

Stuart

1 - 3 of 3 Posts