SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a home in my neighborhood with a Cat22 sitting out back on a trailer. It's been there since I move to the neighborhood almost 13 years ago and it's never moved. The house recently got cleaned up and put on the market but the boat is still sitting there so I stopped and checked it out. It was last registered in '99 and I'd bet it hasn't seen water since about that time. The hull and centerboard keel look to be in bad shape but the mast and all fittings appear to be present and usable. The trailer is galvanized and looks to be in excellent shape belies needing tires (and probably lights.)

I'm considering offering to take it off the property for cheap with the idea of selling off the hard parts and fittings, scrapping the hull and selling the trailer. The Cat22s are common enough that I would guess there is a decent market for parts even if they don't bring premium prices.

What should I be willing to pay for a boat like this one? I'm thinking a few hundred but no more.

What's the trailer worth on the used market once repaired?

This would be the first time I've done something like this, so I'm not sure if I want to jump into it or not...

·
Freedom isn't free
3,092 Posts
You know there are 2 boats on my way to the lake that also fit into this category... One is a MacGregor Venture that has had the grass cut around it for at least 15 years. The other is MORE intriguing to me as it is the same model US 27 that my father owned almost 35 years ago. The US I know for a fact has been sitting in the same place since 1993 (when I graduated college), because I noted it then driving up to my friends house... Its still there and still unloved. I too have contemplated asking him if I could remove it from his property... in this case it is a very tired old boat, and unlikely to be worth anything except maybe the shell.

Honestly I think your approach to part it out might be more practical than my thoughts of taking the boat and wanting to restore it (which undoubtedly for me would cost me countless numbers of hours restoring, and stupid amounts of money).

Offer VERY little money... as complete and sailable Catalina 22s on trailers are going for under $3000 now.

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
It's possible that they just don't know how to dispose of it and will give it to you if you ask. Having a derelict boat on the property may not help the property look good if it is on the market.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,540 Posts
The cost of disposing of the hull may exceed the value that you can extract from the sale of the trailer, and spars... Check this BEFORE you make an offer.

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's possible that they just don't know how to dispose of it and will give it to you if you ask. Having a derelict boat on the property may not help the property look good if it is on the market.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm hoping. I don't really have the funds to hang on a project like this over the time frame it would take to disassemble and sell the stuff.

My other lurking thought is that I might keep the trailer if I thought it would be usable with a different boat. I just started with a 14' daysailer and a weekendable trailer boat is my next step in a couple years. Sometimes you can find really good deals on those without trailers. If I could cover the cost of the trailer rehab, any initial purchase investment, and disposal costs on the hull by selling the fittings I would be happy. Not really looking to turn a huge profit.

OTOH, if the trailer isn't workable for a different 22'-25' boat I could spend $300 on parts for it and sell it too.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
You can sell a trailer for $300, easy, even if it has no title, but you will need to put decent used tires on it. The biggest value in parting out a boat are the sails. If they are in decent shape you can get another $300 for the sails. Disposing of the hull is not hard if you either burn it someplace safe and out of the way, or sink it in deep water after stripping it bare. I would offer them $200 for this boat. You can sell the keel for scrap, but that is close to 800 pounds of steel and not very easy to handle.

·
Land lubber
1,421 Posts
Keel as scrap steel? You might get $100 for it.

I would offer to remove the boat if THEY PAY YOU. Insist that they provide the title as well. Otherwise, you will lose time and money. You would be better off with a minimum wage job for the hours you would spend on it.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,540 Posts
Disposing of the hull is not hard if you either burn it someplace safe and out of the way, or sink it in deep water after stripping it bare.
I don't think so... Coast guard, D.E.P., E.P.A. State, National Marine Sanctuary, NOAA would want to know about your sinking a boat, and will want you to apply for, and receive permits... Otherwise, it called "illegal dumping."

Burning would also get the DEP, Fire Department, and EPA on your case...

Best bet is a chainsaw, and a sawzall.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't pay for a derelict boat that's been sitting for a decade or more.

If you think you can get something useful out of it, offer to dispose of it for them, maybe even charge a small fee. It's certainly not helping them sell the house.

·
Registered
121 Posts
On the flip side, the Catalina 22 is one of if not the most popular boats ever made. That just means they are thousands yes thousands of them out there. Pay nothing for the boat and part it out on ebay or catalina owners association. Mast is worth money, boom, keel, trailer, rudder, the hatch top, comes to mind I have seen people needing and paying more than you would think. The catch, it may take some time but hey if you have a place to put it, its not costing anything.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Offer to take it for free. But if you are thinking about a weekendable boat in a couple years why not just keep it and fix it up? It doesn't have to be expensive to restore something and a cat 22 is a great starter boat to play with.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
When and if the house sells, they will have to pay someone to haul away the garbage. Including the boat. And any realtor who really wants to sell the place, will want the boat gone before they even start showing the property.

So...Start on the right foot. Tell them you'll take it away for $200 and the title signed over. They're not going to get a better deal from a trash hauler.

Of course that may be like the Ransom of Red Chief, but that's a whole other adventure.

·
Barquito
3,703 Posts
Like others have said, offer somewhere between -$100 to +$100 to haul the thing away. Then you should do two things:

1) See if it can be sailed as-is. Because, what the heck, even if it is a total pile of crap, it may be fun to sail in a small lake.

2) Try to sell it as-is. There may be someone who would be willing to take it on. Could make a couple of bucks.

Then if that doesn't work, part it out.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
A Cat 22 is about as simple as a boat gets. A good pressure washing inside & out will bring it about 90% back from the dead.

A long weekend spent cleaning it out and up would probably give you a usable or marketable boat.

Were the soft goods (sails & cushions) stored indoors? Makes a huge difference in the potential value.

Reactions: JimMcGee

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stopped by and took another look at her. The hull has taken some serious damage along the deck-to-hull joint on the port side - the rub rail is missing, the joint is frighteningly wavy (like +- 1-1/2" vertically) and the shoddy fiberglass repair on the gunwales in that area is coming apart. There's a massive scuff on the port side further aft that kind of looks like the boat was dragged across blacktop on its side - down into the glass at its worst. The windows are too moldy to see much through, but the rudder appears to be stored inside along with an ancient outboard. There is a 2" gap at the top of the companionway boards and the boat is sitting bow down, so I'd bet the cabin is half full of water by now. That hasn't stopped the steady stream of ants marching through the gaps in the window seals though. One winch is frozen, the other's gone. The centerboard is also rusted nearly gone. I saw no signs of cushions or sails, but couldn't really see inside. IF they're in there they can't be worth much. All the running rigging is done, but the standing rigging might be okay.

The trailer is newer than the boat. No tag at all, and no place to mount one. It's not extendable, and I don't think you could put any bigger boat on it. I would bet that when the boat was pulled from the water that the trailer was the cheapest one they could buy new in order to get it from FL to GA where it sits now. I'd bet the trailer only has one trip on it.

All in all, I don't think it's worth my time. There are some good parts there - mast, a nice motor mount, a bow pulpit - but probably not enough to really cover having to dispose of the boat.

At any rate, no one answered the door at the house. I left the real estate agent a voicemail offering to take it for free. We'll see what happens but I'm not going to chase it. Anything can be fixed for enough money and work, but that one is too far gone to make it worthwhile given the low resale values on them. I'd be MILES ahead to buy a sailable Cat 22 if that's what I wanted.

OTOH, if anyone in the Central Georgia (USA) area is fixing up a Cat 22 and needs the parts, email me and I'll give you the contact info for the real estate agent .

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Good, sane response!

Regards,
Brad

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,540 Posts
you could do this with it;

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL. I thought about that, but it's too damn big and has none of the charm. I thought about turning it into a play pirate ship for a local playground, but the liability makes that a no-go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts