SailNet Community banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Dave, in the qoute letter it stated 3 weeks from reciept of order as a lead time. I just submitted my last round of revisions to my order. Honestly the process has been very detailed and i have learned a lot. Every question asked has a link that details and explains what they are looking for. Everything is emailed and a running document is maintained to show the process. My expectation is to have my sales by the first 10 days of days March. I am attaching my sail spec's so you can see tge detail Far East Sails require. I should add my pricing was for a special holiday rate and the process started during the month long Chinese New Year holiday. I get a reply to my emails in two to three days. Fine for me, but slow by todays INSTANT reply expectations. Still happy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I made the final payment on my sails yesterday. Just under $700 with the addition of sail numbers, cunningham, telltale windows and the DC logo. Hopefully be here next Tuesday or wednesday. Supposed to be 5 day FedEx shipping. Not sure what custom fees will be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well tomorrow should be the day my sails arrive. Far east sails has been great to work with. While waiting on my sails I have been busy breaking down my rusty trailer and cleaning it with an air scaler I bought from harbor freight. It took about 8 hours to remove the rust from the main frame on the trailer. I removed every nut and bolt. So still have the tounge, the overbuilt winch pedestal, fenders and lots of random bits to paint and replace. I put three coats of primer on the main frame section but still have to flip the frame over and
prime a few spots before putting on the flat black finish. I replaced the center "seat" mahogany cracked board with solid a piece of red oak. I still have to put a finish on it. I will refinish the rudder two..but maybe later in the summer. I will post pics of the new sails Tuesday or wednesday. Have a busy week with work through the week end so probably no sailing for a bit..plus have to finish the trailer. Original to the boat very well made..1/8 and 3/16 steel frame. In a vote of confidence i ordered four new sterns life jackets and two 8',oars from Wally world. This is starting to add up. It will really be new everything. I hope it adds up to be fiscally worth it. I know emotionaly worth it. Happy tuesday!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Far East Sails arrived today. Really very happy so far. Smooth process good price, fast service. No shipping charges, taxes or import fees.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did not have a mainsail with my boat so I do not have any idea what yours are like. I had another boat that used a spandex strap sewn in that was worn out. Another sail had a fold over pocket that had to be restitched.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I did not have a mainsail with my boat so I do not have any idea what yours are like. I had another boat that used a spandex strap sewn in that was worn out. Another sail had a fold over pocket that had to be restitched.

If I remember right (sailbag/sails 50 miles away) are like your new sail, which seems to be the folder over.

But my problem is they keep falling out.

A problem I wish to end. I've tried making the battens longer (so they would be tight, but that doesn't work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In response to this post and others on this thread, I have received many requests over the years for manuals, how to mount engines, etc. regarding the DC. I have owned a 1979 DC since 2003. Have also owned a Hunter 25 during the period beginning 2006.

I realize that posting URLs seems to be frowned upon. Yet, for those interested, I have posted the manual, photos and general specifications on my web log here: www-dot-johnrzaleski-dot-com/2017/03/26/howmar-boats-finest-15-sloop-designers-choice-dc/

(note: substitute '.' for "-dot-")

This should facilitate inquiries as I have received emails requesting the manual over the years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I "finished" repainting/rebuilding my trailer, completly dissasembled- COMPLETLY. I soaked the rusty parts in vinegar. That worked great. replaced bunks and rollers and every bolt on my trailer. Rollers - wallmart, $23. 50 each grade 5 bolts and nuts - ebay, $20., pair 12" tires and rims, eBay - $80. Roller shafts, bunk carpet, wheel bearings, grease, leaf springs, bolts-etrailer, $105. Paint, sandpaper, primer, Lowe's $95. 2 new side marker lights, random hardware, Lowe's $40. $348 call it $375. Today As I was installing the missing washer behind the axle castle nut I noticed a Crack in the wheel hub. Etrailer here I come. A new hub at Etrailer! $35 so $400 bucks plus my time for the rebuilt trailer. I guess a new $750 trailer might have been a good deal after all.

Attachments

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I "finished" repainting/rebuilding my trailer, completly dissasembled- COMPLETLY. I soaked the rusty parts in vinegar. That worked great. replaced bunks and rollers and every bolt on my trailer. Rollers - wallmart, $23. 50 each grade 5 bolts and nuts - ebay, $20., pair 12" tires and rims, eBay - $80. Roller shafts, bunk carpet, wheel bearings, grease, leaf springs, bolts-etrailer, $105. Paint, sandpaper, primer, Lowe's $95. 2 new side marker lights, random hardware, Lowe's $40. $348 call it $375. Today As I was installing the missing washer behind the axle castle nut I noticed a Crack in the wheel hub. Etrailer here I come. A new hub at Etrailer! $35 so $400 bucks plus my time for the rebuilt trailer. I guess a new $750 trailer might have been a good deal after all.
Yes, looks great!

I bought my DC15 and a Load-rite trailer (nearly new condition) four years ago. I wasn't sure if I was going to register the boat, since in New York State if you don't have a motor, you don't have to register it) and just registered the trailer.

I put the value down as $500 (paid $1,100 for boat and trailer). I went back to register my boat and they argued with me that my boat should be valued at $1,100. Took me some debating to explain to them that I got a boat AND a trailer for that.

Of course, I would have to say, every time I have gone to the DMV in NYS for a boat, it is as if they have never registered a used boat before.. I know they are about cars, but ... give me some slack here.

:captain:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Dave. I took the boat a couple of weekends ago. My first sail in the boat, and first time sailing for 15 years. I had a few kinks to work out. So far really do not like the aft leading halyards since they bound when I tried to lower the jib. I will definitely add a down haul for the jib and might add a roller furler. The oars were a pain. I was nervous to sail into the marina so I thought to round up, drop the jib and row in. Oh my gosh. The jib jammed half way down, had to go forward to pull the jib down. Then circled around and rounded up and pulled down the main. In the meantime the boat was drifting and promptly ran into the sandbar I forgot was there. 15 years ok.. anyway put the oars out and the boat rowed smoothly until I thought to stand and look where I was rowing..as I turned I lost an oar...the wind took it and the chase was on. I got the oar at this point I was tired. I dropped my anchor..and caught my breath and had a cold drink. I had a guy check on me from the end of nearby pier about 50 yards away. Of course being a Mitchell I did not need any help. I sat for maybe 10 minutes and decided to reposition the anchor rode so I was head to wind in anticipation of continuing my row in. As I moved the rode I caught the oar and well, #$%#!!, it was once again floating away. So I let the oar go, went forward and wrapped the jib and organized the sheets. I bunched the halyard and tucked them away then pulled up the main and organized the mainsheet. As the main luffed in the wind I pulled the boat forward and retrieved the anchor a quickly beared away and sailed to pickup my oar just 20 feet from the oar going under a boat house. I picked up the oar, tacked beautifully and put the oar away. I sailed off on a port reach to tack and head into the marina. The marina entrance is narrow but the wind was coming across the beam and as I got under the shadow of the moored boats the boat slowed, the wind shifted, I adjusted as I head straight for the pier. I once again nervously rounded up and the boat stopped two feet from the "L" shaped dock and gently slid over so that I could step on the dock from starboard and nod to a fisherman on the dock. Never hitting the dock. I tied up, secured the main and went to my car and sat for 30 minutes in the cool AC. Wow. beautiful blue sky day. Wind from the south 10-15 knots. Water temp was cold! Cold!! Lake Guntersville Alabama. Browns Creek Marina. Glad I didn't fall in. All the best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used 5/16 for mainsheet and jibsheets. Spinnaker sheets I have a 3/16 set - calm days and 1/4 set. I have all halyard at 1/4 inch but I think 3/16 would be fine or better. I had a 3/8 inch main sheet but it was just too big. Castrobargains on ebay has great quality line cheap as long as u are on a budget.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i am working with Fareastsails.com to order sails for my boat. I recieved a qoute of about $400 delivered for jib and main sails. Nervously paid a a 50% deposit and recieved a detailed questionare for measurements. I measured yesterday and sent them in today. So far i am very happy with the polite detailed and fast answers to my questions and concerns. I will update you as it goes along.
Any updates? How did the order go? Have you received your sail?

I have communicated with Fareastsails too. They are responsive and polite. Just from the timing of the emails, it seems the salesperson/order taker must not be located in Hong Kong although that is where they say the company is. Anyone know who owns FarEastSails and where they operate their sales office from?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a rough time last time out also Bama, I rowed out of canal into bay, raised sail but forgot to lower centerboard. I lost headway and got blown into the shallows , up against the seawall. I tried to row out but it was too shallow and the sail was blowing all over, I finally tied it to the boom, jumped out in 1 foot of water and pushed her out deeper. Rowed out about 100 yards, lowered board , raised sails and had a great day after all that. I have my wife raise and lower the jib so im good there, maybe you could lower jib out in the open water and just cruise into marina on the main?

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having someone with you is a plus. I corrected most of my issues from the last trip. This trip the only issue was leaving the dock and exiting the marina with the wind straight between the docks with boats on both sides. I guess it is about 25' from side to side..so ten tacks later and being in irons and back winded once I made into the lake. Hoisted the jib once I hit the lake. It went up smooth and sailed off. The funny thing was the wind shifted around during my sail and when I returned to the marina I was heading into the marina head to wind. Had the jib up going in so easier. The boat handles great but I miss the quick heeling of the albacore. I added hiking straps before this last trip, mast head sheave, an out haul pulls, a block and cam cleat on the center board. I rigged the Cunningham but didn't really fool with it. Next trip I'll use the asymmetrical spin and try reefing the main. I changes some of the lines from 3/16th to 1/4..better hand feel. ..I am interested in buying your spinnaker.. just have to find out how that would work.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts