SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whilte there have been an abundance of threads on the use - and perils of use - of small, gasoline-powered generators, I haven't seen any discussion on the possible merits on designing a safe enclosure that would allow generator use while eliminating the causes for concern that are normally present.

While we are all aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and gasoline fumes it would seem that designing something that would
adress these and other issues while allowing secure use would be very beneficial.

I don't know if it can be done, but it seems like this forum could make a great think tank to examine the issue.

Here are my basic thoughts. Please feel free to comment/suggest/tweak:

1. A rigid and secure mount which would cantilver off the stern and provide a mounting for the enclosure.
  2. A box enclosure which would latch to provide an airtight (or nearly airtight) housing for the generator.
  3. A source of intake air to the box with a simple check valve or other method to prevent exhausing through the intake line.
  4. A 12V bilge blower which powers directly from the running generator and hose fittings to step down from 3" to 1 1/2".
  5. An exhaust hose - typical engine exhaust 1 1/2" which would extend from the sump of the box housing the exhaust fan to about 12" below the waterline.

Whilte there are likely many details to be worked out or suggested by SailNet posters, it seems that something like this might be very beneficial. I know there are other issues including addressing the need for safe grounding, wisdom onf connecting the generator through external power and others, but think we should kick this around a bit.

What do you think?

Murph
[email protected]
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

·
Registered
830 Posts
tagged. Interested, as Im considering a similar arrangement, but inboard.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
The two boats I've been on that had portable gensets we stored the genset in the lazarette (monohull) or under a cockpit seat (catamaran). Always put the genset on deck when in use. Only used it while at anchor. Never any problems. Don't see any need for an enclosure, at least not on those two boats.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
tagged. Interested, as Im considering a similar arrangement, but inboard.
Kohler makes several sizes of gasoline marine gen sets for inboard mounting. As far as a portable use on deck at anchor just point the exhaust away from any opening ports

·
Mechsmith
240 Posts
I kept a 12 volt genset in a tight box on deck with a pillow on it. It ran about 2 hours a day to keep a thermocoupled refrigerator cold. Then I got an outboard with an alternator.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I like the thought that you want to make something with regards to others(and your) noise pollution . And I'm sure you will come up with a solution . There is (was) a gen. set for sale called a Panda ,it came in it's own sound proof case . I'm not sure if it is water cooled . My set up is not what you are talking about , but the end result I think is what you want . My engine is a Yanmar 2qm 15 , I installed a regulator bypass system that has a reostat .(it also turns of when not in use).
And a high out put alternator . So in a sense my engine is my gen . set .

ADD. the Panda 4200 ECO was the the one I was talking about it is a permanent mount type, with water cooling so not really what you are talking about. However the sound case looks nice .
It would seem to me that if you are using a current type genset(like the Honda) they are fairly quiet , however some sound proofing would be nice .I'm thinking a fold up arrangement that would cover on side by side and on top , that would promote air flow. Next time I anchor I hope I'm next to you !

p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts