SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
No question, step it. Take it you are in Toronto. Even down here in the relative warmth we get snow and ice. As others have said, that can cause havoc with the boat, and you've got a good cover with the mast out. Never mind the wear and tear on the mast, the extra windage on a boat on jack stands, and the chance to completely inspect everything on the ground. Long term, you'll save money vs the cost of stepping. Short money, those prices are very reasonable to step.

PS...make sure you label all the electrical connections, and you put tape on the turnbuckles so you can start the new season mast tuning where you left off this year. This will save you a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hi Capecodda,

It's funny that you should say that, because about 10 mins before your message, I received an e-mail from a friend who said I should leave the mast up and just throw a tarp over the cockpit and the boat would be fine. It was entertaining to see two answers that were such complete opposites of one another.

Out of the two options, I think I'd be more inclined to lean towards your suggestion, but I need to review the work I want to do on the boat this winter and see what's practical.

Thanks!
That's perhaps the funniest thing about old sailors...we are so sure we are right! Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.