SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old through-hull transducer in my 1985 Catalina 22. It appears to be the model as seen here:
MODEL 201

Is there an easy way to tell which frequency the transducer is operating at? I'd like to buy a new depth gauge, but if I understand correctly I need to buy a gauge that operates at the same frequency. Unfortunately, I could see nothing on the old depth gauge that gave me any idea of the frequency. The prior depth gauge was an old analog AquaProbe.

Furthermore, do transducers eventually go out over time? Is there a chance that this transducer is shot (I wouldn't be surprised if it were 20+ years old) and would need to be replaced anyway?

Attachments

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The webpage that you linked to says it is a 50/200khz transducer. That should work with most modern fish finders (maybe not the CHIRP models).

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
My 29 year old Datamarine depth sounder started acting up this spring. My initial troubleshooting led me to believe the transducer had gone bad. Specs said is was 200 KHz. I found a refurbished system (display, glue-on transducer, cables, etc.) for $70. I epoxied the transducer to the inside of the hull next to where the original Datamarine transducer is, spliced it into the existing cable, and bingo - system working perfectly. On my cruise last month I was reading depths over 150 feet - far better than I was expecting for a transducer glued inside the hull.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Here's the refurbished Hawkeye system I bought. Cheaper than just a Datamarine transducer.

Depth Finder Boat Mount Recertified

If it turned out that replacing the transducer didn't work, Plan B was to put the Haweye display in the old Datamarine housing.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
My 29 year old Datamarine depth sounder started acting up this spring. My initial troubleshooting led me to believe the transducer had gone bad. Specs said is was 200 KHz. I found a refurbished system (display, glue-on transducer, cables, etc.) for $70. I epoxied the transducer to the inside of the hull next to where the original Datamarine transducer is, spliced it into the existing cable, and bingo - system working perfectly. On my cruise last month I was reading depths over 150 feet - far better than I was expecting for a transducer glued inside the hull.

407ft is off of the fish finder, which was using a transom-mount transducer that was mounted inside the hull using toilet bowl wax. It would read down into the 700ft range before having trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts