SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the most devastating video I have seen. An aluminium boat... with hull corrosion.

Look 4 years earlier and a days sail away to where she bought the boat... discussing "wanted a metal boat because it would be slightly more stable, slightly more safe, you know, all these dangerous containers that swim out in the ocean... sturdy as a tank". But it only got her through Panama Canal... in 4 years.

Look at the interior photos of when she actually saw the interior. That sure looks like a life form to me, but not as we know it.

So very sad. Very tough young lady. Very tough situation.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
She lost her positive mission oriented groove sometime earlyish last year.
Parents doing the new Beta pumped her back some.
I think shes been ..dangling mentally.. for a while.
Will see how it works out...maybe a hero jumps in amd solves her hull and tank leaks probs.
Ah...drama...tugs at ya....

·
Master Mariner
8,205 Posts
I'm really confused. Did she not have the money for a proper repair or were the welders incompetent?
First off, to weld any metal boat you must remove a significant amount of the wood or plastic interior to reduce the fire hazard. Then grind back to enough metal to weld to, and obviously remove any fuel, if it is a tank.
It seemed the tank was clean and the metal around the tank was OK (the walls of the tank should have had enough material to weld to at the hull to get a good plate covering the bad area), so why not just replace the whole tank side hull plating, make the hull sound and build in a tank out of glass, plastic or a bladder into a frame inside the hull?
For that matter, the boat could be sailed with the hole in the tank to somewhere quality alloy welders were available (any oil rig would do and those boys would happily help a woman in distress, probably for free!), using a bladder tank or even jerry jugs to run the engine for the trip. That tank did not seem big enough to bother the boat if full of water instead of fuel.
Did I miss something in the video?
I'd hate to see the dream die for no good reason.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
She was very into it when on the caribe side.
Thats the safer side.
Boat is alum bilge/twin keel.
Shes on a budget
Smart gal
I started following her vids and liked her mission, but then it changed...drift.
Dunno where she will wind up.
Cortez might be a good and safe goal....
While the vid may be shot...in the moment..the editing is done to a plan

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
There is sooo much wrong here don’t know where to start. First I feel for this gal. The frustration can make want to cry at times. She’s right, it sucks big time.

Something is substantially wrong to cause that kind of corrosion. I’m also not fond of her repair methods but I know so little it’s hard to comment.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
it is a bit sad. does a sadder video get more response on Patreon?
a bit of a fools dream to have 30k and think you can buy a good boat and keep it running to sail the world. she seems to be capable just not educated on the subject of aluminum. a large used older aluminum boat sitting in warm salt water, what could go wrong?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I think a lot of people go into this kind of thing...big leap...wirh entusiasum and dream, knowing ahead there are unknows.
Start rhe vids and things are cool, learning curves, etc.
They get social Net attention
Then....the vids become the...raison d`etre.
Lots of mental gyrations

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did I miss something in the video?
I'd hate to see the dream die for no good reason.

Yes! You missed the important bit!
Whilst she was trying to fix the fuel tank she found WATER INGRESS through the hull where the aluminium hull had just been re-welded.

She then put on epoxy inside the hull. Basically it means the whole hull is stuffed. Or a large enough area to make a big job.

Plus she is/was in Panama city or Las Pearas. Either place is not good for haul out nor repairs... Let alone competent aluminium welding.

·
Old soul
4,494 Posts
This is my first exposure to her. Does seem very sad.

However, I kept wondering: Why is she videoing all this? It just felt weird — wrong. What’s really going on. Since this is scripted and edited, what’s the real purpose here? To generate more donations? To stay in contact with her people? Why is it so public?

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
If this is all a legit plight, I feel terrible for her. A single young lady, doing battle with a difficult boat that she's emotionally attached to and gave a man's name. Hmm.

I watched her early season, where she purportedly was recommissioning her vessel by herself. Raw grit. After a short while, it seemed suspect that she had help she wasn't disclosing, which made it appear fake. Nothing wrong with help, it was just being portrayed otherwise. Eventually, she issued an apology video, because her supporters thought she was aboard alone, fighting a hard battle, when she was actually comfy at home in Germany. Everyone understands a production delay, but it was made to appear she was more at risk.

If it's more legit than I think, I truly feel badly for her. However, it comes across to me as a scripted soap opera, more than an edited documentary. There is a big difference. The truth probably lies in the middle somewhere. I wonder if she'll be asking for money for a new boat. According to Graphtreon, she makes in the neighborhood of $1000 per video.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
If this is all a legit plight, I feel terrible for her. A single young lady, doing battle with a difficult boat that she's emotionally attached to and gave a man's name. Hmm.

I watched her early season, where she purportedly was recommissioning her vessel by herself. Raw grit. After a short while, it seemed suspect that she had help she wasn't disclosing, which made it appear fake. Nothing wrong with help, it was just being portrayed otherwise. Eventually, she issued an apology video, because her supporters thought she was aboard alone, fighting a hard battle, when she was actually comfy at home in Germany. Everyone understands a production delay, but it was made to appear she was more at risk.

If it's more legit than I think, I truly feel badly for her. However, it comes across to me as a scripted soap opera, more than an edited documentary. There is a big difference. The truth probably lies in the middle somewhere. I wonder if she'll be asking for money for a new boat. According to Graphtreon, she makes in the neighborhood of $1000 per video.
I have watched her videos sporadically over the years. I got the impression she was in over her head and was a shipwreck waiting to happen. Though she is not the only one. She needed help and often got it from others. I did not know her parents sprang for the new Beta motor. Thought her Internet money was the source. Seems like we're seeing this more and more. A lot of folks buying a boat sailing off without realizing what's involved in maintaining an older boat. In time, sweat equity and costs. Paradise ain’t so pretty with a dead engine or a leaky boat.

Still something to be said for just jumping into it. Which is also the philosophy of Jolly Holly on s/v Another Adventure. A very self sufficient woman sailor who could run rings around most of us when it comes to maintaining a boat. I do believe she actually helped install the new Beta engine on Karl. She always seems to be helping others with repairs. Her Vlogs are not as polished as some others but, IMO she is a great role model for those who want to jump into it.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Another reason not to subscribe to these shows.

Years ago there were two young ladies from MI whose father gave them a sloop... 27- 30 foot... can't recall. Dad and or uncle helped them get it ready... they did the "great loop" with their dog and had a BLOG where they did a narrative and posted fabulous pics.

They got help... some sent them money for repairs... Heck along the way who wouldn't help a damsel in distress? They did the loop and then some... I think one of them hooked up with a BF. They moved back to land. They learned how to sail and how to care for their boat on the fly and did damn well.

https://katieandjessieonaboat.com/2017/01/

and then
https://katieandjessieonaboat.com/2017/01/23/two-girls-one-boy/

Now they are sailing Dad's boat. Terrific and inspiring blog... excellent writing and pics...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I started watching her in the second season (I've watched the entire series at this point), and still follow her weekly. I don't subscribe to the theory that she was out to fool or trick us early on, but that's beside the point at this juncture. I agree that what had been a very focused set of videos with a real mission, has become more loosey-goosey. She's gone from "watch me fix up my derelict boat in the tropics and follow my dream to sail to the Pacific", to "watch me go back and forth between anchorages in Panama while trying to keep my boat from falling apart". There have been some interesting interludes, but it's not as interesting to me any more. I still watch because I've come to like Nike and I wish her well, but it's not as good as it used to be.

If you had been watching regularly, you would know that a couple of weeks ago she did an almost live posting, describing how she had lost weeks worth of video to technical issues, so that what we would be seeing soon would be more contemporaneous than normal. I don't know how "recent" the "End of a Dream" footage is, but I don't think it happened months ago. In any case, this isn't the first time that corrosion on the hull has threatened the boat. In season two (I think), Nike found significant corrosion in the hull when the boat was hauled; you could see pinholes of light coming through. She was then in tears too, wondering if she was going to have to give up. However, she found a welder to fix things, and she went on to do as you have seen.

Her friend Maria did the welding this time, and if you saw the video when they did the work, I got the impression that they had their doubts about it. I think her frustration now is a function of her just having spent more time and money than she expected hauled out to fix these problems, and she is now faced with having to get somewhere more sophisticated and expensive to do the job again.

No doubt that this video was edited as a cliff hanger, and the decision about what to do was made and implemented awhile ago. Knowing that, I don't feel manipulated; I'll either watch or I won't (I will).

And like I said, I've watched every episode, including when she decided she needed to replace her diesel, and when she installed it (along with the help of several people). I do not recall her ever saying that her parents bought it for her. Where did you get that info?

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont mind people getting help.

Remember Tania Aebi? Dad had to keep flying over to keep the engine going and she didnt get her circumnavigation (solo) because a boyfriend was spotted aboard.

So I dont mind help at all. :)

I hope it works out for her.

I *wish* new sailors would buy PLASTIC BOATS! and buy them in civilisation where they can get work done. Man, theres a definite reason to buy a Beneteau in the Caribbean or the USA. Cheap and workers aplenty who know what to do.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have followed the series for a while and prefer it over the ones who are sailing expensive "yachts" all over the world - while that is fine - can't relate to it - she should have stuck with fiberglass. She could go back to Shelter Bay Marina on the Caribbean side - haul there and find a competent welder - there are limited facilities in the PC area ( used to live there) there are also a couple of marinas with haul out facilities near Isla Grande - but maybe the boat is too far gone to make sense - a good buy for a professional welder possibly

1 - 20 of 187 Posts