SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am frequently coming across references to using Dewaxing Solvent. Well, what exactly is this stuff? I check the websites of my local marine stores in Canada and nothing comes up. I check West Marine and they have it as a thinner/dewaxer.

Can I just use my regular thinner or is dewaxer some magical product?

I need to use it for 2 reasons:

1) I am removing a through hull and will be glassing over it. I need to dewax the area around the through hull beforeI grind it down.

2) I am painting the entire boat, and the hull above the waterline has a few spots where I had to sand right back downto the glass (no gel coat left at all). The surface is definitely going to have to be dewaxed prior to it holding primer.

Thanks for any inputs.

· Registered
157 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd highly recommend using Interlux's Fiberglass Prep Wash 202... It really works better than a lot of the other stuff you could possibly use and not all that expensive.... :)

Don't forget to use a two-rag system with it... wipe it on...and then wipe it off before it can dry or it will just re-deposit the wax it has lifted off the surface. :)
I would love to use interlux 202, but the stores in Canada (Montreal) do not carry it. My frustration is that I do not have access to a lot of the products that are talked about on this forum. Sure I can order them, but the shipping/customs adds up fast. We all know when you are rebuilding a boat you are unable to predict what you will need next. If I have to make multiple internet orders, the costs become silly>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.