SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Diamond in the rough?

4K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  rgscpat 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
I noticed that one earlier. I was going to ask if this was a biding to see who was the cheapest to remove from the property. So if the opening bid was 1,900 is that what they were willing to pay to have it removed.

I love this line:
PLEASE DONT BE PICKY BUYER...WHAT YOU SEE IN PICTURES IS WHAT IT IS, THE OWNERS JUST WANT IT MOVED.
Yea you can pay someone to do that. If it were steel at least it would have some scrap value. That is just an awful design. Looks like a claw foot bathtub.

#6 ·
I thought that was just a crack but now that I look at it is for a wind vane.

No photos of the interior so I assume they never got to any of that.

another funny line:

SHIPPING IS USUALLY ONE BUSINESS DAY WITH USPS AS THE SHIPPING PROVIDER.
What do you think UPS would charge to ship one business day across the country?

Is that fiberglass or ferocement?

#7 ·
Splendid idea. Need crew? That's a long haul -- suggest we wait for a really big storm for a bigger push. If it doesn't work out, we can always call for a chopper.

Sadly, I'm sure at one point this was, in fact, someone's dream. Whatever the reason or circumstances, getting diverted from finishing it may have saved their lives.

#10 · (Edited)
I got curious about the 'Solange IV, J Robiller' name on the designs. I found this article:

Spokane Daily Chronicle - Google News Archive Search

Apparently Jochen and Louise Robiller set sail from Massachusetts on a 46 foot home-built ferrocement boat named Solange for a circumnavigation in 1972.

Seems from the article that he would be about 78 now. Wonder how the circumnavigation went. And what became of that Solange, and Solange II and III?

#11 ·
MrF,

I see a problem. One, the boat the OP posted about is around 30'. The boat in the article you mentioned, is 46'.

So not sure where the issue tween the two is. Maybe the person in the article is a boat designer wannabe. Or is, but the designs are not to the level of Mr Perry and others.....

marty

#12 · (Edited)
MrF,

I see a problem. One, the boat the OP posted about is around 30'. The boat in the article you mentioned, is 46'.

So not sure where the issue tween the two is. Maybe the person in the article is a boat designer wannabe. Or is, but the designs are not to the level of Mr Perry and others.....

marty
I wasn't suggesting this is the boat that set off on a circumnavigation in 1972. Besides the obvious size difference, this plan appears to have been drawn 11 years later. And this one is labeled 'Solange IV', suggesting that there were previous boats named Solange under the Robiller name. Also not suggesting he was a world class designer. Seemed to me this Robiller fellow built a handful of boats in his backyard. And apparently at least attempted to take one around the world.

I can't say these boats are definitively related, but that would be an odd coincidence if they are not, no?

#14 ·
I like bilge keels but the design is just Butt Ugly. If it's ferrocement, maybe you could bury it and use it as a septic tank.
Now, for the possibilities: If it is fiberglass, it might be resurrected using epoxy instead of polyester. Cut away that awful looking cabin shape and the aft cabin. A 30' boat is too small for an aft cabin. If you are intent on homebuilding, this could give you a head start on the hull. Once I got it home, I'd buy a SawzAll and go to work.

#15 ·
On 2nd thought, maybe I am a pathological optimist but I do see possibilities even if it is Ferro-cement. First, it should be at least 30' without the bowsprit, otherwise you could get a better bare FG hull for less, I'd say a minimum of 32'.
SawZall away the weird shaped cabin. Use some of that "Git Rot" type epoxy painted into any cracks so it will wick in. Do nothing else in ferrocement and everything else in epoxy. You would get a custom boat with Zero resale value but even that might not be so bad if you really want a shoal draft bilge keel boat (I do). I'd build the rig as a tabernacle stepped Gaff Rig so it can be taken down easily.

#16 ·
That seller has a lot of items for sale, but all the rest are shoes and blouses and dolls and such. Nothing else sailing related.

I wonder if the conversation went something like this "Hey, you sell a lot of stuff on eBay don't you? Wanna list my stepdad's old boat? It's been sitting in the shelterbelt since the 1970s and is currently functioning as a raccoon brothel."

#24 ·
Well, maybe a lot of wax.
" it appears to need tires."
"I was not in the condition and very scared to climb up on boat to take pictures of the inside."
"I'm sorry my information is very limited and the husband who is the owner.... has dementia."
"I'm an honest seller with 100% positive feedback, buy with confidence!"

#31 ·
"This belongs to an older couple in their late 80's to early 90's who wanted me to sell this for them. They had a dream and never went through with it. The plans/ blueprints that were created were as far as they went. The plans/ blueprint can also come with sale if you want them. The couple want it removed from home. "

"my information is very limited and the husband who is the owner.... has dementia."​

It's easy to laugh but this was obviously someone's dream. I'm guessing the husband drew the plans and built the hull -- not an easy task.

You can question the wisdom, but it's kind of sad actually. He probably saw himself spending his later years sailing in the islands, not sitting home sick while family try to sell off his dream...

Reactions: TakeFive
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.