SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just pickling my watermaker and I ran the pickling solution for 5 minutes under pressure (through the membrane). I read the instructions and it said NOT under pressure for pickling...oops. I added more pickling solution reduced the pressure to zero and recirculated for the 20 minutes.

Is it ruined?????

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Call your watermaker manufacturer... I'm sure they can tell you what the case is. BTW, when asking questions about a specific piece of gear, it usually helps to say what make/model equipment you're talking about. The more information you give about your problem, the better answers you get... garbage in====>garbage out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
good point dawg...

It is an older water maker called a Sea Quencher...I am not on the boat but I believe it is made by Marine Technologies

It is very simple it uses a high pressure pump to pass sea water through a large membrane with a unit to sense if the water has achieved a low enough salinity to direct to the tank

I was just wondering why it wouldn't be ok to pass the biocide through the membrane...I wonder if anyone else had seen this...

Cheers

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Most RO watermakers use exactly the same principle, where they use a high-pressure pump and an RO membrane of some sort. I'm thinking that the biocide might damage the salinity sensor... depending on what the biocide is made of and what the sensor is made of.

I would recommend you call them. Their website is HERE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts