SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
They call me EB
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like this is a dumb question, but did the Islander 28 come from the factory with a wheel or tiller?

I am looking at a '77 Islander 28 that has a wheel steering, but I can clearly see in the pictures that there is a mount for a tiller. Also there isn't much of a seat on the transom which makes me think this was converted to wheel steering.

Is there a good way I can tell if it has been converted?

If it has been converted to wheel steering how difficult would it be to take it back to tiller steering?

If it came from the factory is it a good idea to just keep it wheel steering?

Thanks for all your help.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
Our Islander 28 had a tiller and I don't recollect seeing any evidence that it ever had a wheel. Maybe you could order them from the factory either way?

Reactions: Faster

·
19,485 Posts
Our Islander 28 had a tiller and I don't recollect seeing any evidence that it ever had a wheel. Maybe you could order them from the factory either way?
I'd say this is most likely the case. The wheel version would have left the tiller head as a place for an emergency tiller (though frequently that short clearance to the wheel/binnacle made for a very short tiller...)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The two I've owned both had tillers. However, the 1978 Islander brochure that covers the 28, 32, and 36 only makes reference to a wheel. Another brochure that was just for the I-28 had the wheel steering listed as an option.
I'm happy to share the brochures with anyone that would like a copy.

I feel like this is a dumb question, but did the Islander 28 come from the factory with a wheel or tiller?

I am looking at a '77 Islander 28 that has a wheel steering, but I can clearly see in the pictures that there is a mount for a tiller. Also there isn't much of a seat on the transom which makes me think this was converted to wheel steering.

Is there a good way I can tell if it has been converted?

If it has been converted to wheel steering how difficult would it be to take it back to tiller steering?

If it came from the factory is it a good idea to just keep it wheel steering?

Thanks for all your help.

·
19,485 Posts
FWIW of the 4 currently on Yachtworld, it's a 50/50 split wheel vs tiller...

·
Registered
90 Posts
yes.

my 1976 brochure hypes pedestal steering as a convenience option. Love the quote in the maintenance section of the owners manual: "climb down below and check".

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Mine came with a tiller and a po converted it. I have the original tiller, too. The short distance from the tiller post to the wheel is plenty of distance to attach an emergency tiller. I have mine there all the time standing straight up. The boat is so well balanced with its balanced spade rudder that I can steer with a couple of fingers on the "emergency" tiller. I like having it there and use it a lot. After getting away from busy water I can sit next to my wife and steer with the short tiller.

If you have the tiller end casting, or can get one it is a nice feature.

Down

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
They came from the factory with a TILLER unless you ordered an OPTIONAL pedestal wheel.

If your boat originally came with a tiller, the tiller head stands proud very conveniently under the skipper's butt, and it is simple to bolt an emergency tiller back onto it, although you'll find that if the emergency tiller is more than about 18" long, it is going to hit the pedestal wheel.

You either need to fit a helm seat, skipper the boat standing, or...well, let's not go there.

But unless someone ordered an optional pedestal, or installed one later, the boats came with a laminated wood tiller. And when the sails are trimmed properly, the boat has a damned neutral helm, she'll steer herself for hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.