SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with China made diesels. I need a small diesel 20-40 hp, and am looking at the new chinese models. Thanks Leonard

·
Registered
181 Posts
There have been some posts about these inexpensive engines. Apart from getting them shipped to you, (and there may be some issue getting an unapproved engine through customs) the life expectancy is short. No spare parts availability, no warranty work, and useless manuals all come with the low cost. That's in the US. Outside the US, these issues may be less. Your original Kubota idea sounds best.

·
Registered
24,016 Posts
I suspect the value of your boat would decline to that of a comparable boat without an engine. I doubt many would want to take on the unknown, no parts available, engine.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
they are of questionable manufacture and reliability. When a major portion of your refit is labor...why take a chance on something known to be an issue. You will need to find/design/engineer/fabricate any needed installation items. Many will require similar work to mate to a standard (US) transmission/reverser. Attachments to linkages and the base engine are weak and made of the cheapest material available. Machine work is "close", but do not expect accurate mating surfaces or square mounting tabs.

My bench point for this is in tractors/stationary power using these types of diesels and in every case the bolts/nuts/hardware is such poor quality, every one has to be replaced in the first few months of operation. Normal design requirements we expect of gear here in the USA, like low vibration, quality castings/forgings is but a hope and prayer for these engines. The savings are quickly dissolved in repairs, frustrations and the eventual replacement with a known unit.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
they are just clones, badly made(in most cases)...to un-specd tolerances, having said that they are used all around the world in many many different scenarios

like the famous yamaha engine clones(motorcycles, generators, etc) the issue is not even the oem parts that the clones comes from work well in all cases...

sometimes they do like getting a carb for a generator, they fit well etc

but what is the point of using OEM parts on a clone? the stuff that wears out is what makes oem stuff as expensive as it is

for example Id guess the liners on the cylinders of said diesel are unrepleaceable, I bet the rods and or cranks are not intercheangeable with good oem stuff and stuff like gaskets, filters and such are just slightly different to make sourcing parts foolish

now if you are very mechanically inclined are good at engine work and are confident on troubleshooting engines in general I bet you can make these diesels last a long time with the parts they come with( i did with a simple chinese 1000watt generator down here)

I bet however, it will get old having to trouble shoot and fix so often...the value and $$ saved wont be worth it(in the long run)

Id much rather get a used well known diesel, rebuild it and maintain as you would a NEW engine

just my cents

Reactions: RichH

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
If I were you and seeking an old engine in that size range, I would get an old popular diesel, like a volvo, and rebuild it. Parts are still everywhere for them as I understand. Or you could simply look for a small tractor engine.

Volvo Penta MD 11C Marine Diesel Engine 2 Cyl | eBay
Yea, that one has a totally awesome paint job, but noting done to it. I would not trust that there was no problems with an engine, just replaced during refit unless I personally knew the previous owner. Why do they always paint over the hoses?

I do agree that I would find a used motor and rebuild it myself. I would look for a "Universal" (Kubota), Yanmar, or a Perkins myself as there parts availability seems to be best and reasonable. Volvo will kill you on parts cost.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Yea, that one has a totally awesome paint job, but noting done to it. I would not trust that there was no problems with an engine, just replaced during refit unless I personally knew the previous owner. Why do they always paint over the hoses?

I do agree that I would find a used motor and rebuild it myself. I would look for a "Universal" (Kubota), Yanmar, or a Perkins myself as there parts availability seems to be best and reasonable. Volvo will kill you on parts cost.
I gave you that model for reference only, the old ones are known for being super reliable. Also they do not have that many parts, lol.
Yes, I would do kubota too, but how easy to find an aged marine diesel kubota?

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
just saying, asking... how many actually KNOW china diesels are bad engines? Not that I would want one, but someone is selling them and they must have some kind of mfg backup or they would not still be in business.

It's funny, we buy things made everywhere but here in the USA, as long as they have a name we ID as American. Yet we all know almost nothing is manufactured here.

Kubota engines are retagged as.. how many others?

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
just saying, asking... how many actually KNOW china diesels are bad engines? Not that I would want one, but someone is selling them and they must have some kind of mfg backup or they would not still be in business.
sucker born every day is why.
How can we KNOW they are bad? because if they were as good as cheddar cheese there would be tons of dealers selling them everywhere to make good money.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
yet how many of us don't go to harbor freight on Saturday mornings? :)

Made in the USA..... right...

And you really believe Cheddar comes only from Wisconsin....

UP You are right in there with me for making blanket statements without facts to back up but, I get nailed for it when ever I come out with one :)

Like my long running thread on hersailnet "women are never called captain" LOL

·
4,346 Posts
Sure I go to Harbor Freight, in fact I have a volt meter on my desk right now that is not even worth the Free I paid for it! I am likely going to take out the 9 volt battery and pitch the rest.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
The same items can be seen in big box stores and with long standing names like Skil and we buy them claiming better quality.

"Made for Walmart" denotes some kind of authority they way they toss the statement at you on commercials yet, "made for" means meeting a lot price (no word for quality) for a large company demanding the price you meet in mfg.

Toyota gave the Big 3 a wake up call in the 70's lest we forget "made in Japan" statements.

Mazda basically turned Ford around from junk coming off the assembly lines.
Love = Subaru?

Honda? = only generators to consider for your boat, and cars that seem to run forever. And.... great outboards?

Mercury marine small engines, Not made in the USA

Oh.. it goes on and on.... wonder who is retagging china diesels? Kohler? B&G Wisconsin?

So.. where is the proof that a china diesel is any worse then anything?

·
Registered
24,016 Posts
Denise, all those successful Asian brands you cite have significant US dealer support. Ie access to replacement parts, warranty support and technical support. Huge difference.

In the end, you said you wouldn't want one. All that needs to be said, IMO. If the OP puts one on their boat it become virtually unsaleable. Fair or not, that should be a deal breaker.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I'm in rare form today/night Minn, Yes I agree. Just wanted to rag on it a bit :) Parts... but then we are evolving into a "use it til it breaks and toss it" era. Oh an the parts want to be sent to the dealer network not the end user, so the 10% ers start getting their dime/s along the way.. like Volvo?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The Chinese made water buffalo ,A walk behind tractor is the basis of most of the small diesels I've seen . Really heavy and thump. Several were imported onto the coast for hippies. ruggedly dependable , gaskets from cardboard boxes etc. But lost track of their whereabouts. My vote goes to the kybota. For all the reason stated; do it once and do it right. For the next twenty years when you start it. smirk a little.

·
4,346 Posts
I'm in rare form today/night Minn, Yes I agree. Just wanted to rag on it a bit :) Parts... but then we are evolving into a "use it til it breaks and toss it" era. Oh an the parts want to be sent to the dealer network not the end user, so the 10% ers start getting their dime/s along the way.. like Volvo?
Yea, but these are being brought in without any dealer network, or support. You have it shipped from China. Now that Alibaba is publicly traded we can order just about anything directly from Chinese manufacturers. There were other sites before but it is becoming very common to direct import goods. So the next step is to bring in things like engines, but they will not have any kind of EPA approvals, or warranty support. I am all for dropping the US companies out of the loop, as all they have done is outsource our middle class in the name of higher profits. But I am not willing to take on being my only support. Heck I know what it was like in the 80's to own British cars after they basic left our market.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Does anyone have experience with China made diesels. I need a small diesel 20-40 hp, and am looking at the new chinese models. Thanks Leonard

Assuming it for propulsion, putting an engine in a boat is quite labor intensive. It would be inconvenient to put one in & encounter major problems,
especially without a US based distributor. Generally speaking, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Over many years, it pains me to look back at the money I lost while trying to save it. :D

Paul T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts