SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find a funnel with a 30 micron filter rather than the 127 micron size that seems to be the standard size. Could some type of paper filter(from a paint store) be used in a funnel to achieve better filtration or would the paper not be suitable for diesel?

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts
I don't know of one. I use the 100 micron fuel funnel sold at WM. I think you'll need to be a very patient man to fuel through anything finer than that. I have a Racor as well as the Yanmar filter on the engine, but like you, I'd rather not put trash in my tank to begin with. Honestly, I find the fuel funnel to be sufficient since I only just replaced the Racor after 1000 hours of trouble free operation. I've never had to drain water from the 500MA2 either.

Ralph

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Yea, I don't think it would flow fast enough. If you want to do more filtration I think you need to set up some sort of fuel polishing system. 30 micron will take some pressure to get the fuel to pass at anywhere near a satisfactory flow.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Try the the 4 x 14 25 micron size. Should flow about 10 gpm gravity when clean with a 1" drain. Easy to make a holder funnel with 4" PVC pipe (the filter lip will sit on the top edge and the bag will hang nicely) and some fittings.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-filter-bags/=u3youe

In truth, I doubt there is much to stop in the 30-127 micron range. On the other hand, even the 1 micron bags flow surprisingly well, ~ 7 gpm. Could really clean up some funky fuel... though I don't know how much of a problem that really is.

I've used this combination for other things, including reclaiming boiler fuel at fixed installations. Let us know how it works on a boat.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Whatever the 'flow rating' of the 127µM 'filter' is, divide that value by 127/30 = 4.2 for your new flow rate at atmospheric pressure when using a 30µM filter paper, etc.
Alternatively, to have essentially the same flow rate @30µM as the 127µM ... find a filter using the same filter material and that has 4.2 TIMES the surface area of the 127µM. Flow rate (at constant pressure) is determined by 'surface area' when comparing/using same filter materials or similar 'flow characteristics'.

If the 127µM does not use 'paper' but other filter media, get back to me and I'll do the calcs. for you. Another way to do this is to put in two or three layers of ~127µM to yield a statistical ~30µM 'output', .... approximately valid if the 127µM filter material is NOT a 'screen'. ;-)

** The VERY best way ** to do this is to increase the SURFACE AREA of your so-called 'primary' 30µM filter - use a much 'bigger' 30µM primary filter @ 2X or 3X the 'geometric size' (effective surface area) of your present 30µM. Many of the 'spin on' filters can be obtained with double or triple length 'spin on' segments.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was recently on the Parker-Racor site looking up something else and noticed that they have a new range of filter funnels. One of the them is rated at 50micron 12GPH. Not exactly what you are looking for but close and from a trusted source.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
If you are in the US I don't know of a state that does not require filters at the fuel pumps or delivery tanks. Most I see are non-bypass and in the 10 micron range.

I used to use a Racor funnel and never caught a damn thing. I then realized my funnel filter was multiples larger in micron rating than the filter on the fuel pump was.

Perhaps PDQ knows of states that don't require filters??

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
Maine, thats a 'nominal' 10µM rating on the pump filter. Probably a (~ß20) somewhere near 30+µM at 100% removal efficiency.

Here's a close definition of 'nominal' ratings to help decipher 'filter speak', a jargon requiring a 'secret handshake' used by filter geeks: Understanding Filter Efficiency and Beta Ratios
Rich,

I grasp all that. My point was that a 120 micron screen in a funnel filter, after the US fuel pump filter, is pretty much a placebo effect..;)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm sure the diesel does come out of the pump clean, but when I look in the bottom of my 5 gal container there are numerous bits of detritus in there. No doubt they get in during the filling and decanting stages. Would be nice to filter them out.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Mark,

For a jug situation, I can see how the filtered/funnel would be a good thing to have. It could stop bigger stuff from getting into the main tank. Reality is, a good cleaning of the jug upon occasion is a good option too! But alas, one gets water in during the next filling at the station in the rain, or some other equal.

With that in mind, The filters at stations seem to work overall pretty good. So will stick with those.

marty

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Rich,

I grasp all that. My point was that a 120 micron screen in a funnel filter, after the US fuel pump filter, is pretty much a placebo effect..;)
HA HA, youre correct on that one! ... hard particles 'that large' tend to help form a 'filter cake' on filter surfaces which enhance the filtration effect - otherwise known as a 'filter aid'. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts