SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dirt Free
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As no other fuel docks in the area are open yet I went into Toronto Island Marina today and purchased 1229.46 liters of diesel on a vessel I am delivering down the St.Lawrence. Diesel prices at Toronto gas stations are between 79 and 80 per liter. These pirates charged me $1.62 per liter for a total cost of $1997.87

I strongly recommend you avoid this marina.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
As no other fuel docks in the area are open yet I went into Toronto Island Marina today and purchased 1229.46 liters of diesel on a vessel I am delivering down the St.Lawrence. Diesel prices at Toronto gas stations are between 79 and 80 per liter. These pirates charged me $1.62 per liter for a total cost of $1997.87

·
Dirt Free
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not my boat, not my money but I am still offended by this theft

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We get the same in Queensland. There is an 8c/litre (about 40c/gallon) rebate. Marinas say they are passing on the rebate but will charge up to 30c/litre ($1.20/gallon) more than at a petrol station. It means a lot of trips with the jerry cans!

Just robbery - you need the fuel and cant get it anywhere else so they charge what they like. Looks like it happens everywhere. Imagine the fuel a stinkboat goes through.

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
Buy your diesel in Venezuela - about 20 cents a gallon. Cheap in Trinidad, too. Have gotten fuel in the Northern Caribbean for about $2.40/g this winter.

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
In my harbor commercial fishing has dropped off to a very small percentage of what it once was and there is now only 1 fuel dock as opposed to the 3 that we had years ago. Diesel is now routinely $1.50 - $2.00 a gallon more than almost everywhere else in California. The fuel dock owner isn't very popular but even when there were 3 they weren't very popular.

·
Registered
407 Posts
TIM has a captive audience. They are the only fuel dock in Toronto Harbour. I fueled Eclipse there at the end of last seaon and it cost me CDN$69 for 50 litres or so.

I have noticed that even up at my cottage (Honey harbour, Georgian Bay) where there are literally a dozen marinas with fuel docks in close proximity, that fuel (regular gas in my case) is CDN$0.30 more per litre and they don't feel bad about it. Unfortunately filling jerry cans for the 120 litre tank in the Bertram is not going to happen.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

It was probably last year's diesel, to boot, at last year's prices. You know you can have that much diesel delivered to the dock of whatever yacht club you start at at a more favourable price, right? My buddy at PCYC takes on 200 gallons on his Goderich 40 each year this way.

Personally, I build up my legs and shoulder by getting 2 x 5 gallon jugs at the Esso at Lakeshore and Bathurst, loading up my bicycle trailer and filling it manually. It currently takes 10 trips and 20 pours, and will shortly take 14 trips or 28 pours. Of course, the tanks are never more than half empty, so it's not really a big deal.

·
Dirt Free
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was probably last year's diesel, to boot, at last year's prices. You know you can have that much diesel delivered to the dock of whatever yacht club you start at at a more favourable price, right? My buddy at PCYC takes on 200 gallons on his Goderich 40 each year this way.

Personally, I build up my legs and shoulder by getting 2 x 5 gallon jugs at the Esso at Lakeshore and Bathurst, loading up my bicycle trailer and filling it manually. It currently takes 10 trips and 20 pours, and will shortly take 14 trips or 28 pours. Of course, the tanks are never more than half empty, so it's not really a big deal.
PCYC stopped allowing fuel trucks on the property several years ago or I would be doing that for my own boat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Several things could be at play here.

The fuel dock bought the fuel at high prices last year and needs to recoup those costs.

The fuel dock only operates 6 months of the year but needs to make a year long wage.

There is no competition to force prices down.

Environmental issues are more of a cost for fuel docks than service stations.

Property values on the water add a lot of taxes to the business.

High fuel prices and a bad economy have cut the use of power boats, cutting the gross volume of fuel sales, increasing the need to make a bigger profit on every gallon.

All the above.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
PCYC stopped allowing fuel trucks on the property several years ago or I would be doing that for my own boat.
Is it possible they allow it at Lakeshore next door? I don't think it's been "several years" since he last topped up, but it's possible he goes somewhere nearby, or even to Port Credit Marina/Bristol. His boat is Creeation, a Goderich 40 .currently on the hard at PCYC. It's usually on B dock, close to the main finger.

·
Dirt Free
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know Matt on Creeation. I used to buy a truckload of fuel and have it delivered to the launch ramp in the little bay behind PCYC and Lakefront Promenade Marina where I had about 10 large power boats waiting. This is still designated as a Federal Harbour. The City owned Marina (Lakefront Promenade) called the police who came down and harassed the truck driver so much that he refused to come back. Note that the police had no jurisdiction in this harbour but the driver did not want the hassle. I am sure that complaints from the city marina (next door) are what prompted PCYC to forbid fuel trucks since PCYC leases the land from the city.

I also tried the same deal with a fuel truck in Toronto harbour and again the police showed up (again without jurisdiction) and harasses the truck driver into leaving. It has always bothered me that here in Ontario we pay not only a huge premium on fuel but that we also pay highway taxes on it and that money does not come back into boating.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It sounds like the fix is in, then, unless you want to organize a jug brigade with a few pickups and six guys who will work for beer.

Matt and his boat are one of the main reasons we are planning a circ today. We went to high school together. He's one of the few guys who can make me really laugh, although he's typically in stealth mode. You should check out his new Yanmar installation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts