SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search for "intake air muffler" nada on that one.

Why for, how come, :rolleyes: don't our little diesels come with air filters on the intake?
My universal 5416 only has a teardrop shapped thingy that seems to amplify the intake noise.

The intake noise is quite loud on mine, I've seen air intake filters in auto stores that look like they would work, (K&N even) But I would like to reduce the intake noise. I know I could build something. what's the jury say?
thanks all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can use a K&N filter if you can find one that fits the intake manifold stub on your engine, or you could order one for a newer model Universal from Westerbeke if your dealer can find one that will fit... most of them use a cleanable foam filter now. A different air filter may not make much difference... many people insulate the engine compartment to lower engine noise.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have a sort of box with a tube on it for my Westerbeke W-52. The tube part has a heavy mesh on it, and I suspect I'm supposed to put some sort of filter element (or maybe a glorified sponge?) in there, but I haven't found a reference to it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Updated Part

Hey,

The teardrop has been replaced with this:

Universal 301139 Ships Store Torresen

Don't faint when you see the price. I'm sure you can find / make something for a lot less.

It also uses this air filter:
Universal 301049 Ships Store Torresen

I bet this would work (it's from an M25)
Universal 302181 Ships Store Torresen

And the price is almost reasonable.

On my engine (M25) the intake noise isn't so bad. The other mechanical noises are much worse. One of the PO's installed a good amount of sound insulation, and with the covers on and closed the engine isn't too loud.

Good luck,
Barry

Did a search for "intake air muffler" nada on that one.

Why for, how come, :rolleyes: don't our little diesels come with air filters on the intake?
My universal 5416 only has a teardrop shapped thingy that seems to amplify the intake noise.

The intake noise is quite loud on mine, I've seen air intake filters in auto stores that look like they would work, (K&N even) But I would like to reduce the intake noise. I know I could build something. what's the jury say?
thanks all!

·
Registered
45 Posts
One option for a quiet intake would be to use the intake from a diesel generator. I know in some applications this may not be doable with space requirements and such. Also, in no way would it be a bolt in. But in the end, a much quieter intake.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
You can use a K&N filter if you can find one that fits the intake manifold stub on your engine, or you could order one for a newer model Universal from Westerbeke if your dealer can find one that will fit... most of them use a cleanable foam filter now. A different air filter may not make much difference... many people insulate the engine compartment to lower engine noise.
A friend of mine recently installed a $52.99 RX-3000 K&N Filter on his Perkins 4-108. The installation required the addition of a Perko 5/8" hose bib to accept the vent hose from the engine. He reports that the filter substantially reduced the noise of his engine, cut down on seapage from his rear seal (a Perkins issue) and seems to have improved his fuel consumption rate by 5-10%. I plan to install the same unit on our engine. K&N can be found at Official K&N Store - Buy Air Filters and Cold Air Intakes - KNFilters.com Store

FWIW...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts