SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I'm looking for a diesel mechanic that can trouble shoot a fuel delivery system for my 4 cyl Westerbeke 27 HP.

I've had a nagging problem that I just can't lick. I'd like to install a new filtration system and it's not as straight forward as you think. There have been modifications from the PO that I just don't understand.

If any of you have recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.
(PM or Post is fine).

All the very best,
Craig

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
BTW, my 27 hp Westerbeake is a 30B, three cylinder. How'd you get them to make it a four cyl?

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, my 27 hp Westerbeake is a 30B, three cylinder. How'd you get them to make it a four cyl?
I know a guy.. who knows a guy.

Pulled some strings... whammo... extra cylinder.

I'm good like that.

(apparently 1980's models were 4 cyl)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I know lots of guys that know guys, some of 'em actually know gal's too.

You need to meet some of the guys who know gal's.

Last time I pulled some strings it didn't work out so well, so I'll leave that, and your 4 cylinder smoker alone.

W27.pdf - By Nitro PDF Software

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
btw, John lives on Cape St. Claire, give him my name and mention the yacht club :)

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,291 Posts
Jim Stitz - White Marsh Diesel - 443-791-9399 - when you see how well kept his truck is you'll know he is good, and fair with pricing.

For fuel related issues try Arundel Injectors - 410-969-3399 - They don't do many house calls but they know their diesel engines.

Cobe Marine - don't have their #, lost card, they're in Pasadena, competitive prices on parts to :)

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Try Marshall Larner at J Gordon & Co (410) 263-0054. I know they will go as far as Baltimore. Tell Marshall that Auspicious referred you.

You might also try Bay Shore Marine. They are in Eastport also, but I don't know what their range is. (410) 263-8370

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw, John lives on Cape St. Claire, give him my name and mention the yacht club :)
I did.. he's awesome.. and even though he doesn't work there anymore, he helped me on the phone for 30 minutes.

Great guy.

Well... Looks like my lift pump is toast. Just ordered a new one.

Just to clarify. When you hook an electric pump up to 12V it should do something right? Buzz or Whir or Click or Thump... right? :)

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim Stitz - White Marsh Diesel - 443-791-9399 - when you see how well kept his truck is you'll know he is good, and fair with pricing.

For fuel related issues try Arundel Injectors - 410-969-3399 - They don't do many house calls but they know their diesel engines.

Cobe Marine - don't have their #, lost card, they're in Pasadena, competitive prices on parts to :)
Thanks Chefy! Orderd the parts from Cobe today!

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try Marshall Larner at J Gordon & Co (410) 263-0054. I know they will go as far as Baltimore. Tell Marshall that Auspicious referred you.

You might also try Bay Shore Marine. They are in Eastport also, but I don't know what their range is. (410) 263-8370
Thanks! Putting these guys on the list if the lift pump doesn't work....

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
I second Marshall at J Gordon and use Cobe for parts also...very knowledgeable and fair.

Craig...gives some thought to installing a double racor setup since you are playing and improving the feul delivery system. It will virtually save you from worry about particles to the injectors. Great peace of mind I know you like to stir up that diesel tank by pulling in tight on those new white sails....**:**)

Dave

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I second Marshall at J Gordon and use Cobe for parts also...very knowledgeable and fair.

Craig...gives some thought to installing a double racor setup since you are playing and improving the feul delivery system. It will virtually save you from worry about particles to the injectors. Great peace of mind I know you like to stir up that diesel tank by pulling in tight on those new white sails....**:**)

Dave
You read my mind chef2... while I was in Cobe today.. I started designing the system.

10 micron to 2 micron Racors up front and easy to change. The engine filter is a big fat pain in my Non Yoga butt... I think I may have pulled something! Ouch.

I even considered a 3 Racor system. 30 - 10 - 2.. That would be trick. I'm gonna check out the parts and options. Plumbing doesn't look to painful.

Today was 65 deg! What a perfect day to tinker on the boat... (no wind so I didn't feel so bad about not being out either...)

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[URL="http://
[/URL]
That's EXACTLY what the instructions said. And .. it turns out.. that's EXACTLY what a replacement unit costs.. :(

Thanks Bubb,
Hadn't heard that one since my hippie music teacher in Elementary school taught us! :) That's great!

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you C2, I have a good buddy, I grew up with. you may find him interesting. Sorry about the high jack!
Arvel Bird - Lord of the Strings
How Dare you hijack my thread that's already complete and where I've gotten all the information that I need! The shame of it!

Arvel kicks ASS! That's awesome. He live near Chicago? We could have a serious session...!!!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
He is based out of Nashville now. I will tell you a true story about him. Arvel was winning all kind of fiddle contests while we were in school. Some how a demo tape of Arvel's got to Charlie Daniels. He got to play for Charlie and Charlie told him boy "you are good, but finish high school and we will talk." I like Charlie for that !!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts