SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
or delo 400....I stick with oils for the life of the engine or for the time I use said engine

switcing oils searching for the holy grail does no good and in some cases can cause excess sludge and or sediment

15-40 is fine in a 10 40 specd engine.

unless you are in freezing morning temps you are in the same temp range that calls for 10 40

good luck

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
yeah Im no fan of synthetics for an old inboard diesel

if anything stick to dino stuff the delo 400 and rotella are so similar its funny...they are heavy and have nice amounts of detergents and anti shearing qualities.

if you are worried about wear previous to your ownership you can add some zddp like stp, or marvel mystery oil(those are the only 2 I have used and recomend) and call it good.

again stick to the same oil for the life of your engine especially if you have access to the same oil in your area...unless you move to another climate your good to go with 15-40

NOW BE WARNED this is the beginning of an oil thread, and wars start easily as soon as someone says only use this dont do that and never do this etc...

be warned! jajajaa

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
of course it will

remeber this...the less difference there is between "weights" the longer that oil will last before breaking down

10.40 will last noticeably less at its correct "weight" before say a 20-50 or even a 15-40, this is visible even to the naked eye....

thats all Im going to say now...

10-40 is stocked almost anywhere

on an atomic 4 gas inboard any car 10-40 is ok, even moyer marine recomends this with a dash of marvel mystery oil

delo 400, rotella t are really good oil and I have noticed from using them in many vehicles from offroad motorcycles to old 4x4s that they last and keep their viscocity well

on old engines you neeed that as tolerances losen up as you age...

synthetics are the antitheses if viscocity retention over a period of time...they do however tolerate EXTREME HEAT better and they dont break downs as HARSHLY or quickly if you will

sooooooooooo if it where ME with your engine go for the 15-40 dino stuff and change regularly before any breakdown happens

and stick to that oil

good luck in your decision.

ps. minnewaska is absolutely right, DO NOT STRAY FROM WHAT THE MANUFACTURERS SAY TO DO as a general rule...unless that advice is obsolete...

this applies to oil technology, fuel, additives etc...this is a common question when restoring vehicles for example

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
synthetic blends are hardly synthetic at all...

down here for my renault there are very few correct weight oils so I simply use a blend with great results...

also and Im curious what your manual states but you can use straight grade oils during certain times of years and or in climates that dont vary more than 20F...

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
auspicious youd be surprised how many offroad motorcycle racers swear that rotella t is the only oil they use too

its not just for cars and trucks and diesels

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.