SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 month old beneteau and it has started to make knocking noises when the motor is off and we are cruising. This stops when I put the throttle into reverse. ANy ideas on what this could be ????

·
19,488 Posts
Sounds like your prop is spinning.. what engine, transmission and prop do you have?

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
It depends on the transmission in gear while sailing with the kanzaki tranny would void the warranty but in gear with the hurth is actually recommended by manufacturer. Refer to manufacturers advisory # msa08-003

·
Registered
583 Posts
Our 3gm30f Yanmar/Kansaki combo does that too.
As soon as the prop starts to turn at about 4 knots it makes a noise.
It sounds like a heavy piece of metal running over a cam and hitting the prop shaft. It's rather annoying but it doesn't do it all the time.
I talked to the local Yanmar dealer and they said it is was a common thing??? and if you don't like it you could put a shaft brake on it.
I had forgotten about it as it hasn't done it in quite some time.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Put it in reverse to stop prop spinning. Wont hurt kanzaki gear box.

·
bell ringer
5,075 Posts
did you check the oil level in the transmission?

·
Registered
583 Posts
did you check the oil level in the transmission?
That was my first thought when I heard this noise but the oil level was good and I have had the oil changed twice in the two and a half years we have owned the boat.
I haven't heard this noise in quite some time now. It does make me feel better that someone else has heard this noise though.:laugher

1 - 8 of 8 Posts