SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning, good voting morning.
Wondered if some has had this same problem.
a five gallon jerry jug on the stern, leaked for a week before i caught it.
here in the florida sun , it leaked all thru the rail scuppers and stained
about 6 feet of white glossy hull. hull an deck cleaner, oxcilic acid, west marine hull cleaner - just took off maybe 40% of it. the next step of sanding to gel coat an reglossing is not appealing at all. any other chemical out there that might work?
thanks!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Did you try On Off gel on it? Very strong stuff and very noxious. It has worked well on our gel-coat boo boo's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Caleb D
where do i find on off gel? can it be found at tried an tru West Marine?
Thanks everyone for helping!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the on off gel at west marine.
I already had a qt. of on off cleaner onboard and used it straight out of bottle an got about 40% off. On a white glossy hull , 60% looks terrible. I need somethiing that takes some of that gloss off to!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
I was on a leg of a delivery of a big Beneteau and we had to top up the tanks from gerry cans while underway and bouncing around a bit. Needless to say we got most of the fuel into the tank but enough of it got on my hands and the gelcoat surrounding the fill cap. The owner of the boat brought out lemon scented liquid Joy which we used on ourselves and the boat. Seemed to work pretty well and is cheaper and smells better than On Off. This will probably require considerable amounts of elbow grease though.
The only caveat is that the boat was coming up from the Caribbean Islands after crossing the Atlantic and the gerry cans seemed to be filled with brown diesel - not the red died fuel IIRC.
Is your stain reddish or just brown?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the red dye fuel but the stain appears brownish tan an it must be somehow imbedded in the gloss. is there a way to take off the gloss finish.
i used Poli-glow about a year ago. good stuff but tommorow i'm calling the manufacturer to see what can remove it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Caleb D
just went to poli glow web site.
they now have a gel called Poli Strip which takes the glow off. so i bought a can an will try that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts