SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
skisail
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yanmar 4JH3-TE engine in my Ganley 41 steel yacht. Can anyone recommend a 12 volt diesel/water filtration system that I can install between my keel tank and header tank which gravity feeds the engine? The fuel pump I currently have lifts 240 litres per hour but there is no filtration system. Thanks

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Racor filters are the standard.

Are you looking for a specific fuel/water seperator like a centrifuge? They exist but are very rare on recreational vessels.

·
skisail
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, do you know if Racor filters can handle 240 litres per hr as the one I've got (cant remember which brand) is only gravity fed so I assume a Racor filter will be the same?

A centrifuge option might be better if someone can recommend a brand to use and the name of a reasonable/reliable supplier where I could get one?

The issue is that I keep getting condensation inside the keel tank which is compromising the fuel. I want to filter it before it gets to the header tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
It depends on exactly what's going on. For a standard recreational use take a look at Racor 75500MAXM10 . As for the gravity feed, it depends on exactly what the head is, but very few diesels have no pump, even if their primary fuel delivery is by gravity.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Consider something simpler like a Racor RAC490RS spin on filter/ water separator. It's rated for 90 gallons per hour which should accommodate your 240 liter/hour flow. If I correctly understand what you said, you would just place the filter/water separator inline between the keel tank and the header tank; no additional pump would be required.

·
skisail
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everybodys comments. I have installed a Racor 900FH with 12 volt heater. I wanted something that was of recognised quality, could handle a large volume, easy to source replacement filters and allows an easy visual inspection.
A filter between the keel tank and header tank will mean that most contaminants are removed early. There are now 3 filters in place before the diesel enters the Yanmar Engine. The reason for this overkill is the lack of clean diesel available once I travel to other countries.The other issue is moisture as fuel tanks sweat particularly while storing fuel for long periods of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts