SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I bought a new (to me) Ericson 30+ this spring and am doing a few upgrades/repairs this fall. One is...

Strangely, the boat has never been equipped with an on board 110v battery charger. The boat has a bank of 2 std (non-gel or AGM) batteries. I primarily daysail then return to the slip, I hang out enough on the boat while at the slip, that I run down the batteries. I'd like to have them on a 3 stage charger to keep them fresh.

I hastily bought a ProMariner ProSport 12 (Generation 3) at West Marine because it was on sale ($99, normally $149) and seemed to get rave reviews. When I got it home and pulled it out of the box, I realized that it's got a 3 prong plug instead of AC wires to be hardwired to the panel. So, like most of my boat projects, I threw the box in the garage and it's been collecting dust until I can properly "research" the options.

I've come across another unit (at 3 times the price) at WM, the ProMariner 63120 ProNauticP Series 1220P - 12 Volt, 20 Amp Battery Charger.

My question(s)...

-Is there a big enough difference between the 2 units to merit exchanging? What is the primary difference to justify the price difference.

-Is it a bad idea to cut off the 3 prong plug and hardwire the ProSport 20 to the panel or inline with a nearby AC outlet? If so, what's the proper install without running the AC power cord to a house outlet in the cabin (goes against my sense of simplicity)?

-Is this typically an easy (safe), straightforward installation or would it be smart to have an electrician install either unit? I'd say I'm handy but have a slight fear of electrical project at the onset.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Hello All,

I bought a new (to me) Ericson 30+ this spring and am doing a few upgrades/repairs this fall. One is...

Strangely, the boat has never been equipped with an on board 110v battery charger. The boat has a bank of 2 std (non-gel or AGM) batteries. I primarily daysail then return to the slip, I hang out enough on the boat while at the slip, that I run down the batteries. I'd like to have them on a 3 stage charger to keep them fresh.

I hastily bought a ProMariner ProSport 12 (Generation 3) at West Marine because it was on sale ($99, normally $149) and seemed to get rave reviews. When I got it home and pulled it out of the box, I realized that it's got a 3 prong plug instead of AC wires to be hardwired to the panel. So, like most of my boat projects, I threw the box in the garage and it's been collecting dust until I can properly "research" the options.

I've come across another unit (at 3 times the price) at WM, the ProMariner 63120 ProNauticP Series 1220P - 12 Volt, 20 Amp Battery Charger.

My question(s)...

-Is there a big enough difference between the 2 units to merit exchanging? What is the primary difference to justify the price difference.

-Is it a bad idea to cut off the 3 prong plug and hardwire the ProSport 20 to the panel or inline with a nearby AC outlet? If so, what's the proper install without running the AC power cord to a house outlet in the cabin (goes against my sense of simplicity)?

-Is this typically an easy (safe), straightforward installation or would it be smart to have an electrician install either unit? I'd say I'm handy but have a slight fear of electrical project at the onset.
get a
sterling they make the pro mariner. can't beat Bay marine supply's prices
Sterling ProCharge Ultra 20 Amp Battery Charger | $230

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
If you bought it at West Marine and the packaging is still there, they will likely take it back. If you have one of there cards they track all your purchases and you don't even need the receipt. They most likely would even without the packaging, but it would really not be fair to return something they can't resell just because you changed your mind. But if you tell them that it just did not suit your needs they might be able to put it on a clearance bin and still make a bit on reselling it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is a great deal! But let me ask...is that Sterling (ProMariner ProNauticP Series 1220P identical twin) worth buying if I already own the ProMariner ProSport 12?
A few more reasons for the other charger:

(1) The ProSport, being a waterproof, just doesn't cool as well and electronics like cold. Air-cool when possible. Obviously, when you need waterproof, you need it, so I'm not picking on the ProSport for it's intended use.

(2) The ProSport doesn't have a desulphation mode, which is a good thing to do now and then.

(3) The Pronautic/Pro Charge has a display that will let you know what it's doing. If you don't have other monitoring, it can be quite useful. If you have one of the monitors in that first link, then this is not so important.

And yes, especially with Mainsail's instructions, you can install it quite easily!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you bought it at West Marine and the packaging is still there, they will likely take it back. If you have one of there cards they track all your purchases and you don't even need the receipt. They most likely would even without the packaging, but it would really not be fair to return something they can't resell just because you changed your mind. But if you tell them that it just did not suit your needs they might be able to put it on a clearance bin and still make a bit on reselling it.
I totally agree. It's brand new in the box (I should have stated in my first post that I only pulled the instructions out of the box)...my only hesitation was whether it is worth exchanging for the more expensive one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts