SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a location specific question (For the Chesapeake Bay)...

All my time spent on the bay so far has been spent as a racer, not as a cruiser. So I know where all the common windward and leeward mark setting locations are. But I know almost nothing about anchorage options between Havre De Grace and Newport News.

I've got a C&C 30 with a 5' draft, 10' beam, and 45' mast clearance.

Is it typical to be able to find open slips during the summer months at most anchorages, (e.g. St Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge, Solomons, and further south)? Do you normally have to call ahead to reserve slip space? And how often do you run into situations where your only option to get ashore is via dinghy?

I'm just wondering if dropping the $$$ on a dinghy and hauling one around is reeeally necessary to visit and enjoy most anchorages on the bay?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
...I'm just wondering if dropping the $$$ on a dinghy and hauling one around is reeeally necessary to visit and enjoy most anchorages on the bay?
It will be money well spent. I can't imagine exploring the Bay without a dinghy.

If cost is a major concern, consider building your own dinghy and saving some money. A good rowing/sailing dinghy is all you need -- no need to spring for an outboard.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
It depends...but with a 5' draft, walking out to your boat is going to be tough... :) Get a dinghy.

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... It sounds like everyone is having fun with the responses... But seriously...

Is it really that difficult to find an open slip or a dock side tie up that at places like I mentioned? If so, is it a problem with overcrowding, or is it a problem with having a relatively deep draft vessel (as compared to power boats)?

The cheapest non-pool-toy dinghy I can find with an inflatable bottom is $400 + tax... And anything with a rigid bottom starts at $1000... It seems like it would take a lot of overnight slip rental fees to add up to that cost.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No...you don't need a dinghy...just a good Hefty bag. Put all your clothes in and a towel and you can swim in naked and change on shore! :D :D :D

Perhaps. but then again it may wind up being more expensive in more ways than one if he gets stopped for Public Indecency. :laugher

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Gee Whiz Bubba ! You are going to be the only sailor that pumps his waste tank by hand and swims to shore. Quit fighting it, you are overthinking things, if there was a better way most people would use it. People buy sailboats because they WANT them, you buy a dinghy because you NEED it to fully utilize the potential of the sailboat.
And you don't need an inflatable floor or a RID, rollups and wood floors are cheaper and more plentiful used.;)

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Ok... It sounds like everyone is having fun with the responses... But seriously...

Is it really that difficult to find an open slip or a dock side tie up that at places like I mentioned? If so, is it a problem with overcrowding, or is it a problem with having a relatively deep draft vessel (as compared to power boats)?

The cheapest non-pool-toy dinghy I can find with an inflatable bottom is $400 + tax... And anything with a rigid bottom starts at $1000... It seems like it would take a lot of overnight slip rental fees to add up to that cost.
My experience on the Chesapeake has been that slips are generally available but you definitely should call ahead to make a reservation as far in advance as possible. If you are staying in a slip, you don't need a dinghy. However, since slips run around $100 per night you'll soon have exceeded the cost of a used dinghy. Besides, the real joy is finding a nice anchorage and spending the night on the hook. You won't need a dinghy there either, so long as you won't be going ashore or visiting neighboring boats. If you're one of those boaters traveling with a dog... you need a dinghy, I've never seen a dog swim ashore, do its business and then swim back to the boat.

Can you cruise without a dinghy? Yes. Will you be happy having a dinghy? Yes.

Here's an option, try going without until you decide it is a good thing to buy.

Regards...MGM

·
Registered
698 Posts
Buy one that can be deflated and stored in the lazarette or somewhere. Last weekend our dingy flipped over and over in 30+ gusts on the Pamlico River. It was quite a sight and every time we tried to pull it in it flipped again. The inflatable floor fell out but stayed attached, but we lost our keel. Dingy's are a PITA, but I think they are pretty much essential. Towing them is a hassle for a lot of reasons.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The dinghy opens a lot of new territory, and oppurtunities while sailing. When the hook is down you can use the dink to explore. Maybe get up into some wetlands, or just cruise the neighborhood's backyards.

No matter what kind of dink you decide on. Once you have one you will wonder how you did without it.......i2f

·
19,488 Posts
Like I2F, I think you limit your options if you cruise without a some sort of tender, be it a dinghy or kayak or whatever.

Going to moorings and marinas gets expensive.. you'll save the cost of the dinghy in the first couple of seasons if you get into the habit of anchoring out in more remote places. Exploring shallows and lagoons, estuaries are lost to you of you have no suitable craft to do so.

There's also the safety aspect... a reasonable dinghy can act as a rudimentary life raft in case things go horribly wrong.....

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I agree.

And I have an inflatable Achilles dinghy I don't use I can let go for $200. It's about 15+ years old but servicable.

Oars and pump included.

Heck, so is the 2-stroke Seagull outboard that ran two years ago!!

PM if intersted. Location South River CB.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I like the dinghy plan,- wouldn't be without mine; however, you mentioned places like St. Michael's & Annapolis. At these places water taxis will pick up and deliver you to your boat. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
One reason I think you NEED a dinghy, is that there will be occasions where you need to anchor or use a mooring, and there will be no water taxi service. If you don't have a dinghy, you'll be stuck on your boat.

Also, there are times, like if you foul your prop, where having a dinghy will save you a lot of trouble, since you can often use the dinghy as a "tugboat" for the mothership.

Exploring coves and areas that are too shallow for your boat, with its five foot draft, can be interesting, but not possible without a dinghy.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
At 60 bucks or so a night for a 30 footer on the bay (or more) it won't take long to pay for the dinghy. + you are gonna want to stop in places around the bay where it is more prisitine and marinas may not be available.

·
1,000 Posts
no dinghy...

Anchor really close to the shore..then Grab the highest halyard and balance back and forth till you can Tarzan yourelf into land...

Once in land, tie the halyard to a rock, a car, a stone, or a cow.. do not use people..they move aq lot..

Swim back to the boat....climb (this is important) back to the boat..do not swim around it much...you get tired...

Then slowly, winch the halyard...the boat will start tilting towards the shore....

When the mast is horizontal, you can use it to get in and out of the boat...

When you're done...just cut the halyard with a sword, or a katana!!!

you're welcome!!

·
1,000 Posts
Some people use elastics and bungees to catapult themselves to shore..the problem is returning....

never the less, your question was very good!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Inflatable Kayak

If it's a money issue, or you just don't want to tow a dink, consider an inflatable kayak.

My wife and I used a Sea Eagle 330 for two years on our Oday 22. We have a real dink now with an outboard, and it is much easier to deal with, but the Sea Eagle worked well.

It stows easily, handles waves well and gets you to shore. And people get a kick out of seeing you in it.

We still carry the Sea Eagle for fun. Had it for going on 6 years and it's still going strong.

I have no connection to the company. Just very happy with the product.

·
1,000 Posts
If you are a man of faith..and have a lot of it..you can also raise your hands into the sky, look up, and shout:

GOD!!! MAKE THIS SEA OPEN!!!!!!

Doesn't result allways, but a guy in the middle East, a few years back, did that, then crossed in the dry parts.....but he had bad guys truing to kill him, after him..so he had a LOT of faith...

·
1,000 Posts
off course, if you close all windows and hatches, and open the propane valve inside, wait 15 minutes, then light a match...it will take you places, too!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts