SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a lifelong sailing women with kids that are 6 and 9. I have mostly sailed on larger boats, but am thinking dinghy for both financial, practical and preference issues (I just love sailing a dinghy!)

I would like to buy a small boat for day sailing and camping with the kids who are 6 and 9. My past sailing has been predominantly racing: I would like to be able to race, but don't envision getting super serious. We live in Seattle and there are a number of active fleets here, but I am not sure what would be best for us. My husband may sail with us, but I would want to be able to single hand or go with just the kids (as I am the more avid sailor). There is an active Thistle fleet around here, so that is an option that I have looked at. I worry that the kids and I would be challenged to right it or sail in anything but the very lightest wind.

I look forward to any advice!

Thanks,

·
Registered
709 Posts
I like an O'Day Daysailer, and more of the racing side Lightnings for family use. There are keel boats like the Bulls Eye and Doughdish which are essentially Herreshoff 12s designed as club boats for young kids to sail in nearly absolute safety. May be hard to find out west and would need a slip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts