SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boat I recently acquired came with a simple dinghy (not RIB, just simple fiberglass? rowboat). Previous owners have left it floating in the water in front of the boat, because the marina charges to lean it on the dock out of the water. It's had a constant pool of water in it for years, and I'm wondering how I can best recover it. The whole thing seems watertight, but the floor is very soft. It holds weight and floats, but the floor flexes more than I would expect on my weight.

Is it normal to have so much flex in a dinghy floor and if not, is there a way to restore it?

Thanks!
Jug

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is it taking on water now??
If so, do the repairs needed; then
1) easiest... toss a pc of 1/2" ply on the sole so's ya don;t poke thru and go row yer boat
2) next... make that afitted pc of marine grade ply with a good coat of epoxy to seal it. same result, mo $$ and time but looks better
3) long term.... repair/ remod the ribs, add a new McGlass deck and tab in place, paint with spendy deck finish. Take a year or so to do it ;)

Sort yer priorities according to yer needs and wallet. IMHO..I'd opt for #1 and sail more :D

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The charge for the dinghy rack in our marina is $5/mo. It's worth it compared to destroying the dinghy by keeping it in the water all of the time. If you email the office they will install the rack within a few days.

The floor of my dinghy also has a fair amount of flex. How much is acceptable will depend on the hull design and shape. The Ranger Minto (a very common rigid dink around here) has a fake lapstrake design and thick hull that makes it quite stout. My Dyer Dhow Midget is about 40% lighter and has large flat sections in the design that make it have a bit more flex.

Rigid dinghies are great, they row much much better than inflatables. I find that my dinghy rows well enough that I rarely use the outboard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts