SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Does anyone have experience adding a dinghy motor lift to their boat? Last year I kept the motor on my dinghy when the dinghy was on the davits, but it seemed like too much stress on the davits, so I moved it to a separate motor mount on pushpit railing. This is much more secure, but it is a royal PITA to move the ~70lb motor on and off. It's very difficult to do at the dock and nearly impossible at sea. One of my friends got slightly injured doing it last night. I think I want to add a crane/lift for the motor. I can't find reviews of any of the solutions on the market, so I'm wondering if someone can endorse one. The Forespar Nova Lift seems attractive to me, so that's probably my top pick right now. Thanks!

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I have a block and tackle attached to my arch to lift both dink and motor. I move it in to toward the boat when lifting the motor.

Makes lifting and lowering my 18hp a doddle.

·
Sailor
934 Posts
If you don't have an arch, I recommend the Forespar motormate. It is rated for motors up to 100# and is hundreds less than the Nova Lift. I have one that lifts my 50# motor without any problems. It disassembles easily and stows in a locker or stays up at your discretion.

Tod

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I have a snap shackle for my main sheet, I plan to use the 5:1 of the mainsheet, with the boom over the side to lift my 9.9 to the rail.
I say plan because I'm still in progress on dinghy davits and a motor mount.

·
Sailor
934 Posts
Chuckle: how much does that engine weigh? Are you planning on getting it back to the stern rail. Is your boom long enough? Just curious; seems problematic at first glance.

Tod

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I share Gladrags1's questions about ChucklesR's idea... I've thought pretty hard about using my boom and/or main halyard to raise the motor, and I just can't think of a way to make it work. My boom doesn't reach far enough aft to get to the rail, and using the halyard is too extreme of an angle; it seems like it would result in scratching the heck out of the stern with the motor unless I was lifting it by hand, which is what I'm trying to get away from :)

I'm not quite clear on why the Motor Mate is superior to the Nova Lift. They seem to have mostly comparable specs, except the Nova Lift can take more of a load. The Motor Mate is also really ugly and I presume bulky to stow. The prices I've found online aren't "hundreds less", it's at most $100 less. Is there some additional functionality or ease of use to the Motor Mate?

·
56 Posts
The motor-mate stows pretty compactly, the pole is in two sections. As I remember it is easy to deploy and breakdown. Had one on my old, old boat. Had a Garhauer on my old boat and a Kato on the current one. All of them did/do the job fine. If I was going to give one an edge it'd be the Garhauer but would be happy with any.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Chuckle: how much does that engine weigh? Are you planning on getting it back to the stern rail. Is your boom long enough? Just curious; seems problematic at first glance.

Tod
It's a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke, 84 pounds dry. My boom doesn't reach the stern and I do not intend on mounting it there, my pushpit curves around my stern and extends forward quiet a bit. I intend to mount it on those extensions, just behind by rail mounted solar panels.
I say intend because I have to built a mount for the motor yet. The picture below shows a old mount for my 4hp (the bit of white on the rail) where the motor will go.

·
Full-time Liveaboard
36 Posts
I have both Kato davits and the Kato outboard motor hoist. Both work well. I upgraded the davits to the 6:1 purchase system and the motor hoist is 4:1. Very easy to lift either the dinghy with the motor still attached or the dinghy/motor separately. The motor hoist pivots so I can swing the motor around to either the Edson mount on the stern rail or all the way to a lazarette where it can be stored for passages.

Not cheap but pretty high quality.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Not long ago I saw a setup that I wish I would have photographed. It was on a boat owned by an elderly woman. She designed the lift around a heavy duty jack, like an old Smittybilt Trail Jack I had on a Jeep once. She could ratchet the motor up and down to wherever she wanted it. All the way down to troll, all the way up to stow. I realize you want it for a different reason, but I'm sure you could adapt it for use as a transfer point from the boat to the dinghy. Darn, I wish I would have taken a picture of it!

·
Sailor
934 Posts
My comment about the hundreds of dollar difference in cost was by checking both products SRP on the websites. I bought the Motor Mate, was lucky enough to find it used and in good condition. The Nova Lift is sleeker in its design but it all comes down to what you want and what you are willing to pay. I wouldn't lift an engine without a hoist. Too much danger of injury!

Tod

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
After looking at alternatives, we selected the Forespar Nova Lift, which is positioned on the back corner of the cockpit and can be used over the stern or the quarter. We use it to hoist our Mercury 15hp outboard onto the stern mount, for lifting bags of groceries and supplies out of the dinghy (the 360º rotation is helpful with this), for hoisting our (drip dry) dog out of the sea when we've been swimming (she's a Spaniel and if we go in she dives right in as well); and, for hoisting a MOB if that were ever necessary (we've tried that exercise with the Life-Sling--it works). The Nova Lift includes a 2:1 tackle (it could be 3:1 but we don't need that) and the tail, running over an internal turning block, is led to one of our secondary ST winches so my (much) better half has no difficulty using the gear. The "crane" is removable and can be stowed when unneeded but can easily be assembled. While not inexpensive, for what its worth, our dock mates on either side have two different brands of lifts and both agree that, had they to do it over, they'd select the Nova Lift over theirs.

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Garhuar hoist on our boat, and have found it very useful. It sets up and breaks down easy, has a 4:1 block set up that the wife has no problem hoisting out 70# motor with. My friends have the Motor Mate, and have no complaints either, and they used the heck out of theirs on their trip from Northern Michigan to Florida last fall.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I installed dinghy davits on my boat. I had to remove the motor lift since it was in the way. I use the dinghy davits to hoist the motor.
I bring the dinghy up to the stern, remove the hoist line and attach it to the motor. Hoist the motor up and swing it over to the rail. Then I attach the lift line back to the stern of the dinghy and lift it up. Works great for me.:)

·
BJV
242 Posts
Have a ketch and have used foreapar motor mate for 12 years now. Love the fact its breaks dpwn and is stowable in lazerette. Have been lifting an 80 lb 9.9 with ease, in fact admiral lifts and lowers with me in dingy guiding.
For fixed unit would probably look at gehauer or kato.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts