SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dinghy repair

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  copacabana 
#1 ·
Hey there, I have a 10ft Nissan hypalon dinghy, in the bottom there in a couple small hole on the bottom from wear and tear, it looks like the the wood floor is poking thru, best way to repair?

#2 ·
Easy enough. Just get the hypalon patches, and the special glue, and patch it up. You're likely to find it all in a kit. First place I'd look is Defender.

You'll find instructions in the kit, and plenty more online, but basically, you cut a patch, rough up the area where you're going to apply the patch with sandpaper, apply the glue to both the boat and the patch, let it dry until no longer tacky, then press the patch solidly to the bottom. Done.

#4 ·
If they are small holes I have found nothing works better than super glue. The most important thing is to sand and clean the area very well, then cut a patch that is about 1/4 " larger than the hole and glue it on. Super glue dries almost instantly so you must get the patch in the right place first time. I've never had a super glue patch come off or leak.

#6 ·
All the patches on my dinghy that were applied by a "professional" using the so-called "proper" glue have come off, and within months. Every patch I've applied with two-part epoxy is still going strong. The secret is sanding the patch and area to be patched thoroughly so the glue has a rough surface to adhere to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.