SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an OLD PVC dinghy that we bought from craiglslist. The first time I took it out, the transom tore loose from the PVC in two spots. I have been told that I can try JB weld to fix it. But, realistically, is this a repair to try? Or should I cut my losses and just buy a new dinghy? The new dinghy appeals to me since the wife and 4 year old will be traveling on the dinghy as well.

Advice, ideas, suggestions, and the occasional "i told you so" about buying on craigslist are all appreciated.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Umm... I would just bite the bullet and buy a new HYPALON dinghy. The PVC ones are relatively short-lived unless well protected from the sun compared to a Hypalon one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, got it. Now, where can I get an inexpensive hypalon dinghy? They all seem to be $1000.00+

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Your best bet might be the Defender spring sale. They usually have very good deals then.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can have it professionally fixed. The glue used for PVC only lasts about 2 to 3 years, but it is cheaper than buying a new one.

We have a WM Zodiac 310 that we just had fixed again. This is the second time that we had it done, both within the 5 years of the warranty from Zodiac so it was free.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
You can have it professionally fixed. The glue used for PVC only lasts about 2 to 3 years, but it is cheaper than buying a new one.

We have a WM Zodiac 310 that we just had fixed again. This is the second time that we had it done, both within the 5 years of the warranty from Zodiac so it was free.
If the PVC of the transom is that bad, the PVC material is probably not much better, and repairing it is throwing good money away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts