SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a sucker for free to almost free boats, so when I saw this little Dyer Dhow Midget online I had to have it. I don't know the age of the boat, but I understand they have been in production in fibreglass maybe as far back as the 40's. Bronze fittings and wood rig which appears to match the mast partner seem to indicate this could be a fairly old boat, or it's possible the sprit rig was a retrofit.

I think what you have there is technically a Dyer Midget which is about 8 ft LOA. The Dyer Dhow, which I have, is about 9ft and the Dyer Dink is about 10ft. They are quite popular for frostbiting with clubs up and down the West shore of the LI Sound with active fleets of Dhows and Dinks.

There's a Facebook group with a devoted following to the Dyer's.

Enjoy the journey ...it's worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m about to buy an even bigger project. How did your turn out in the end? Thanks for detailing some of the process and making the reference to the manufacture.

·
Super Moderator
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’m about to buy an even bigger project. How did your turn out in the end? Thanks for detailing some of the process and making the reference to the manufacture.
I didn't finish it. There was a lot of demand for small sailboats here last year. Shortly after I got the gunwales on somebody offered me some cash to take over the project, so I sold the boat to finance my next project. It was a fun lockdown project while it lasted.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts