SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Beneteau F310 ~ APOTHIC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has either a retail source, or a great design write-up for dinghy transom flaps? I've been searching all over, and not finding much. There are sources for plastic, but I'm looking for a design that doesn't involve taping material to my hull; I want some kind of hinge. Also prefer the transparent "door", which again, I'm not finding...

For those who may not be familiar, transom flaps are usually hinged pieces of plastic which use a shock cord to create pressure on a seal that makes them more or less water-tight. If the cockpit gets flooded by a giant wave or a capsize, you release the shock cord and the boat rapidly dumps its water out the back. They also allow a great visual on how the crew's weight is distributed (thus transparent is good).

Background information: I'm restoring a 1967 Lightning dinghy which has these in place. While the concept is good, the implementation on my boat is a little "rough", and is going to look even rougher when I finish painting that finely faired hull with a fresh coat of paint. Looking for something that will look restored and new whether purchased or DIY...

Thanks in advance!
Chris

·
Beneteau F310 ~ APOTHIC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I've got a self-bailer in the bottom, and may install a second so I can use them on either tack. The bailers are great for draining small amounts out, but they are comparatively slow for emptying out the cockpit after a capsize. Watching how slowly they empty the cockpit from a hard rain I can see why the transom flaps are nice.

The other nice feature with the flaps are that if you can see through them, you can easily tell if the crew weight is balanced, or if the transom is low. Can't see through the bailer...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The transom flaps on my 505 are just small aluminum plates with a simple stainless hinge on top. I don't see why you couldn't use clear lexan instead of aluminum for the plate. Ours have padeyes dead center and a piece of shock cord that goes from the padeyes to a small screw on the centerline of the boat. You can unclip the shock cord to open the flaps.

·
Beneteau F310 ~ APOTHIC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now that picture looks like exactly what I want my transom to look like! They look like commercial parts, but again, I can't seem to find any site that sells them.

Any idea what kind of bat that is in the picture? Maybe I can find replacement parts from the manufacturer...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts

·
Beneteau F310 ~ APOTHIC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did search, but for some reason, I completely missed that site the first time through! Thanks - that should be just what I need.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Nickels Boat Works, 1871 Tower Street, Flint, MI 48503 Tel. (810) 767-4050 also sells a "transom bailer kit" that fits your needs.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
nice dinghies

I made some out(for a 505 down here) of thin rubber backed (as a gasket) aluminum plates I scavenged from somewhere tied off with a nice bungee for quick release pressure worked great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts