SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure anybody who has been to a west marine store has seen their small pelican branded waterproof boxes for phones and stuff. As I work in theatre, I know that Pelican makes some truly large waterproof boxes for the industry.

My thoughts are to get one and use it for a ditch "box" instead of a bag. I know it will be more bulky to store, but it would also survive more damage that would rip a bag, and could be used to cling to in an extreme emergency. If I get one of the bright orange ones, it can be more easily seen by rescue workers as well.. all while being watertight with a good sturdy o-ring and clamp system to keep everything inside safe and dry.

Can anybody think of a reason this won't work?

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
Are you planning on carrying a life raft too?

How big does it need to be? If you've got the space to store it why not.

I seem to recall a couple of fisherman, I believe it was off the coast of NJ, that stayed afloat by hanging on to their cooler when their boat sank.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my boat is only a 23.. but I am just always planning for the future. As I work in a field that uses things like the big pelican cases, it seemed to me they would be perfect for securing things you do not want to get wet or destroyed

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,466 Posts
Well I have both, so there ;)

The box is cheaper, just add some reflective tape and maybe a rope so you can attach it to self or soemthing. The bags are nice, but I put things like a handheld VHF in a watertight container mostly so it doesnt get banged around.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,573 Posts
Pelican cases often have sharp edges which may not be good in a life raft!

But a beer cooler box is waterproof, boyant, has handles, and vould keep things inside dry. Maybe you have hit on a great idea. A bag may be better to sling on your back when fighting the way into the raft, but thats their only advantage.

A ditch box could be nicely sectioned to neatly hold your emergency stuff so its not a jumble of junk in the bottom of a soggy bag.

I like the idea!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I am sure anybody who has been to a west marine store has seen their small pelican branded waterproof boxes for phones and stuff. As I work in theatre, I know that Pelican makes some truly large waterproof boxes for the industry.

My thoughts are to get one and use it for a ditch "box" instead of a bag. I know it will be more bulky to store, but it would also survive more damage that would rip a bag, and could be used to cling to in an extreme emergency. If I get one of the bright orange ones, it can be more easily seen by rescue workers as well.. all while being watertight with a good sturdy o-ring and clamp system to keep everything inside safe and dry.

Can anybody think of a reason this won't work?
No reason it won't be a good solution, in my opinion…

My life raft lives inside a large Pelican case… If I ever have to bail out, my plan would be to use the Pelican storage case for all the last minute grabs of stuff not already stowed in the ditch bag, particularly things with no tolerance for moisture - computer, camera gear, and the like…

I've never understood the popularity of most of the ditch bags currently on the market, such as the RapidDitch bags from ACR… What the hell good is a ditch bag made from material that isn't waterproof? Why not go with a waterproof duffle or dry bag, instead?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.