SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the thru transom cockpit drain on my Helms 25 project. I cannot find an exact replacement, I have left this project till last of my bottom repairs. Attached is a picture of what I am replacing, I am using a piece of PVC Temporarily to drain rain water. Can anyone point me at a part and place to replace this? I have recieved some good advice, but was hoping to replace it with the right part.

Rusty

Attachments

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
I assume the picture is the PVC you're using for a temp fix. Do you know what the original looked like and looking for a replacement or you don't know what the original was like and you're looking for someone that can tell you what it was?

Don't know the boat, but if the later I can think of two possibilities. A flapper type that keeps outside water from splashing back in or just a through hull fitting. As low as the drain is I'm guessing some kind of flapper or one way valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PVC is sticking through the original fitting. It did not have a one way valve or or flap. It connects to the Cockpit drains and the bilge pump. It was brass and rotted off on the inside at the plumbing. The Picture shows the exterior of the fitting. I can replace it with plastic/poly fittings, I just wanted a suggestion from the wisdom of this group.

Rusty

·
SailRN
45 Posts
As stated above, Joe Waters, Waters Sail, Lexington, SC. The Helms were made here (Irmo, SC).

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Every hole in a boat should have tap on it. Just in case. Doesn't have to be bronze. The bilge pump hose rises up under the deck to pervent back flow

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Could you use one of these.
That's the first thing that came to my mind too. It is above the water line so no need to over think it. As long as the hose connected to the inside rises well above the waterline to form a trap you should need any kind of flap or check valve. You dont typically put shut off valves on cockpit drains.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts