SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive boat related hobby project, during my current downtime. I've been looking at some videos of a two-man daysailer cat, made of pvc. (I'm assuming "schedule 40"') I've looked at several of these and later ones seem a bit more refined.

What I'd like to do, is improve on this idea by adding a small, fully enclosed, cockpit, that I can use to nap or sleep in during short, deep water, crossings of more than 24 hours.

Has anyone come across plans or images of something like this or have an opinion about what materials and construction techniques might be well suited, as well as minimal safety equipment?

I thinking kind-of a one person "prepper" boat.

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
This is the first time I had even heard of this. I did a google search and got some youtube hits back, that's about it.

If I was to do a sleeping shelter on a small catamaran it would likely be a soft shelter like a one man tent or a polytarp boom tent or something along those lines.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive boat related hobby project, during my current downtime. I've been looking at some videos of a two-man daysailer cat, made of pvc. (I'm assuming "schedule 40"') I've looked at several of these and later ones seem a bit more refined.

What I'd like to do, is improve on this idea by adding a small, fully enclosed, cockpit, that I can use to nap or sleep in during short, deep water, crossings of more than 24 hours.

Has anyone come across plans or images of something like this or have an opinion about what materials and construction techniques might be well suited, as well as minimal safety equipment?

I thinking kind-of a one person "prepper" boat.
I will suggest that this is a pretty silly concept. You can buy perfectly suitable, well engineered, used small catamarans and tris for way less than the rig and sails would cost for your disposable misplaced plumbing supply. The cost of properly engineered connections, and reinforcing the PVC pipes to withstand the forces of a 'deep water ' passage would easily pay for building proper hulls or adapting a used set of existing hulls.

You might want to Google Tremolino trimaran. One of those just sold for $3000 in my area.

You might also look up Stiletto catamarans. The original 27 footers can be bought for around $10 K in half way decent shape. That is about what a suitable rig and sails would cost for the PVC cat.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
QUOTE="contrarian, post: 2051717488, member: 194595"]
If looking for a DIY project with a small cuddy check out the Strike 18 Trimaran made from beach cat hulls and rigging.
[/QUOTE]

The Strike reminds me of a 24 foot plywood trimaran that I designed back in the 1970's for a friend. That trimarran essentially had a very simple double ended dory center hull and tortured plywood outer hulls with the connecting structure simple box beams. The rig came from a rotted out wooden Tornado. The boat was designed to be built in my friend's apartment in a Savanah carriage house. The hull length was limited by the diagonal dimensions of the space and the width we could get out the door.

That boat had a small Fwd cabin with a canvas pipe berth laced to the frames. There was a boom tent that was pretty luxurious for a small trimaran.

He was able to build it on weekends and evenings over the course of part of a winter.

If I was designing that boat today, it would probably be stitch-and-glue with a rounded bottom.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will suggest that this is a pretty silly concept. You can buy perfectly suitable, well engineered, used small catamarans and tris for way less than the rig and sails would cost for your disposable misplaced plumbing supply. The cost of properly engineered connections, and reinforcing the PVC pipes to withstand the forces of a 'deep water ' passage would easily pay for building proper hulls or adapting a used set of existing hulls.

You might want to Google Tremolino trimaran. One of those just sold for $3000 in my area.

You might also look up Stiletto catamarans. The original 27 footers can be bought for around $10 K in half way decent shape. That is about what a suitable rig and sails would cost for the PVC cat.
Thank you for the recommendations. They look interesting. As silly as this concept is, it does work and in some cases works very well. Silly, is my creative process. It's where I start. You are clearly very knowledgeable and I'm always grateful for your help.

I'd like to add that the most satisfying projects, for me, have begun thinking from a "peasant's" perspective. When I design, I like to start with a good-enough approach, then add constraints.

I'll bet the following could be scaled up, for short island crossings. It's fast, really fast!

Windsurfing Catamaran

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
Thank you for the recommendations. They look interesting. As silly as this concept is, it does work and in some cases works very well. Silly, is my creative process. It's where I start. You are clearly very knowledgeable and I'm always grateful for your help.

I'd like to add that the most satisfying projects, for me, have begun thinking from a "peasant's" perspective. When I design, I like to start with a good-enough approach, then add constraints.

I'll bet the following could be scaled up, for short island crossings. It's fast, really fast!

Windsurfing Catamaran
In my mind (as someone who designs things for a living), I start from the project objectives, and givens. Then I look for the most effective way to meet those objectives. I may consider non-standard approaches when the project objectives and constraints suggests that makes sense. But before latching onto a completely out of the box solution, I evaluate what is gained by that approach and at what cost, and in the end will that solution actually meet the project goals.

So while a catamaran can be built with PVC pipe, the question in my mind is, will that produce a decent, reasonably safe vessel for a 'deep water passage '. The answer is a resounding maybe. But the issue becomes what does that solution gain in terms of saved time and cost, relative to the potential shortcomings of the completed boat.

It is one thing to build a disposable daysailer for lake sailing using Home Depot parts. It's another to produce a boat that can reliably stand up to what nature throws at it during an overnight deep water passage.

In boat building, the cost of the hull of the boat is typically 20% of the cost and construction time of the whole boat. (In small boats the percentage for the hull does increase.) But my point is that if you are going to put time and money into building a boat, then it would seem to make sense to at least build a boat that is a good boat for the project objectives, rather than starting with something that might half way work if put enough time and effort into it .

Jeff

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
I don't think you have considered the realities of making a passage of any length in an open boat. Exposure to the elements is one of the most dangerous parts of sailing an open boat for long periods. Even those rowing boats that have crossed the Atlantic have some cabin to get out of the elements, if only to change clothes, have a bite to eat, and rest. Warm tropical water can be damn cold if the wind is blowing, and sunburn is a major concern. Where do you plan to store water and food on something like that "speedy" cat? Dry clothes are essential, unless you want to get sailor's rash.
I had a delivery on a hurricane damaged motor yacht which only had steering on the fly bridge. No bimini and no autopilot meant we has to steer by hand day and night. We roasted during the day and shivered through at night. It certainly wasn't a fun delivery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts